Case re handle...

bladegrinder

I had the Florida forestry dept. out to my place to assist with a prescribed burn, one of the guys has been to my place several times over the years.
this time he brought me an old Case knife he said his father found years ago an gave it to him. the handle looks like a broom stick cut in half and
was held on with two wood screws on one side and three on the other.
I'm going to put some new handles on this and get it put back to work, anyone seen an old Case like this?
I found a logo that seems to match, and this one seems to be an oldie.
S2dr1hz.jpg

f4k7WFE.jpg

zRqljce.png

Looks like it's from the 1930s for sure. Well worth putting a nice handle on. Be sure to post to this thread when you do the handle so we can see the finished product.

Will do, the knife’s done. I’m going to make a leather sheath to protect the blade in a few days, cause this this is going to be scary friggin sharp when I’m thru with it.

I restored/re-handled a couple for a local lady last week...was wondering how old this Case was.... Stamped:
CASE XX
483-8
was
9f6da640cf9dcb4a2a303aefec9eb4ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
was wondering how old this Case was.... Stamped:
CASE XX
483-6

1669306628192.png
Is the above something like the logo on your Case knife? If so, the ebay listing said from the 1960s time frame. As I searched more I'm not "totally" convinced that's correct. I did see 1960's on a couple or 3 different sites.

View attachment 81746
Is the above something like the logo on your Case knife? If so, the ebay listing said from the 1960s time frame. As I searched more I'm not "totally" convinced that's correct. I did see 1960's on a couple or 3 different sites.
Yes, that's what it looked like...I would have thought much older than that...60s doesn't sound like that long ago!haha

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I've got the Case re-handled and made a leather blade protector for it.
the handle is Bocote with 3/16" brass pins. it should be good for another 80-100 years :D
the blade is 12" and lazer sharp, the handle is 5 1/2".
thanks for looking...

Pp7Oe3H.jpg

96MPyFn.jpg

2qF6X7s.jpg

Here are the handles i pulled off it, it also had some hammering marks on the tang I ground out.
HitznMv.jpg

Steve, you did a GREAT job there. A blade that long doesn't fit in a normal knife block very well so the sheath is a good thing.

Perfect handle choice for that knife, and I love the throwback CASE TESTED sheath! You turned a junker into an heirloom.

Thanks John, I'm giving it to him tomorrow, I hope he likes it.
I'm also picking up 2000 pine tree seedlings at the same time so I should be busy outside of the shop for a few or more days. :D

Back