Carbon & Carbon Alloy Steels

Steel typeNumberExample
Plain Carbon Steels10XX1075, 1084, 1095, Etc.
Manganese Steels13XX1350
Nickel Steels2XXX2340
Nickel Chromium Steels3XXX3150
Molybdenum Steels4XXX4140
Chromium Steels5XXX50100-B
Low Chromium Steels51XX5160
Med. Chromium Steels52XX52100
Chromium Vanadium Steels6XXX6150
Silicon Manganese Steels9XXX9160

I just wanted to post this to give some meaning to the numerical system for different alloys. The first numbers designate the main type of alloy, such as Nickel and the last numbers are usually the amount of carbon. For Example, good ol' 5160 is a Low Chromium steel with 60 points or 0.60% Carbon.
I thought some of you may find this helpful in explaining the designations for some of the steels we work with.

Last edited:
Interesting chart Darrin. wish you'd have posted it as a pic so i could print it for the shop wall.

one question, I know O1 is a carbon steel, how does it fall into the 10XX category? does it have an industrial designation like 10xx that I'm not aware of?

Erik

Erik, just select the columns and paste to an Excel (OR LibreOffice) spreadsheet, then you can print to your heart's content. I prefer this method over the image because I can do more things with it.

Darrin - good job! Thanks.

Ken H>

Interesting chart Darrin. wish you'd have posted it as a pic so i could print it for the shop wall.

one question, I know O1 is a carbon steel, how does it fall into the 10XX category? does it have an industrial designation like 10xx that I'm not aware of?

Erik

Erik, O1 is not a 10XX series steel, it is Carbon steel but its alloying classifies it as a Tool Steel.

Back