Carbide File Guide- Where To Find One?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I would really like to purchase a carbide file guide but have only found one which I wasn't overly impressed with the construction of. I had a gentleman tell me he could build me one (which I'm sure would be an amazing tool), but the price was a bit out of my budget. Can anyone point me to a supplier where I can put my hands on one of these at a good price (preferably under $200)?

Murph

Tracy has one thats hardened.........but its not carbide. Still its a great tool and works well. Think price was around $40 or so. Wish I had a few of these.

Larry

Tracy got them. You don't need carbide. You ain't going to touch Tracy's guides with anything but a hard rock stone. It will stand up to anything it comes in contact in a Blade shop.

Murph,

I'm also interested in a carbide file guide. I seem to remember an entire thread on this topic and if memory serves correctly Ed Caffery was using carbide, loved it, and I seem to think he talked about bying carbide "faces" and attatching them to a standard file guide.

It hasn't reached the top of my priority list yet but I'm thinking that I'll get a brand new guide from Tracy and go this route.

I also seem to think they are available from somewhere for around $165.

I'll see if I can dig up the info I'm talking about, or maybe Ed will chime in here.

-Josh

I have one of Uncle Al's from Riverside Machine. Love it!! Sure makes an easy job out of truing everything up! Someone posted a link to his site. Dont remember what I paid, but it was under $100. Quality tool that is well designed.

God Bless
Mike

The carbide jig Josh is referring to is made by Riverside Machine. I loaned mine to Ed Caffrey a few months ago because I think these things are incredible. Ed agreed with me on that. The carbide is set in a milled pocket of steel and attached with some sort of adhesive. They are 150 dollars or so but worth every penny, no belt, ceramic or otherwise will cut it. Files won't touch it either. Hope this helps.

I really don't like the idea of having a piece where the carbide plates are glued in place. I guess this is the source of my hesitation with the one from Uncle Al. I have contacted a machinist about making custom a guide for me.

I really don't like the idea of having a piece where the carbide plates are glued in place. I guess this is the source of my hesitation with the one from Uncle Al. I have contacted a machinist about making custom a guide for me.
Al is a machinist. Hence Riverside Machine shop. But I think I know who your talking about and that's cool too.

Back