Can it be too tight.

I roughen the to be bonded surfaces (including pins) with 60-80 grit, clean and clean again everything with appropriate solvent and let dry.
Then I assemble it all, coating all surfaces liberally, fill the through holes and generally use three spring clamps. Using warmed Gflex 650 I get squeeze out all around and that tells me I have sufficient adhesive. The spring clamps provide enough pressure unless something is wrong.
If during a mock up run all looks just right, then it should be good to go with epoxy.
SS

I dont really buy into the whole "clamping too tight will squeeze all the glue out" theory.

I've seen a few knives where guys loosely clamped scales to keep the epoxy from squeezing out......and you can see a big ugly glue line between tang and scales. Poor craftsmanship.

Put clamps on and snug them up good. You don't have to bear down on them as hard as possible but epoxy should squeeze out. If you can see a glue line between scales and tang, you did it wrong.
I think I agree with John on this one. I don't do hardly any full tang knives anymore, but when I used to this was an issue I found also. In the beginning I clamped too loose and had some issues. Afterwards, I clamped everything down fairly snug and never had any issues. I think the biggest issue with scales and clamping is flatness.

For an anecdotal story.....I used to replace scales for a large company for their customers who wanted fancy wood custom scales. This company used cheap 5 minute epoxy. I changed literally hundreds of scales. I could remove scales in about 30 seconds. I could take a punch and a small ball peen hammer and literally two light "tap" "tap" and the pins were out. Then a good rap on the bench and the scales popped right off.....every time.

Fast forward a couple years. I have a full tang knife with ironwood scales that I made in 2011. I wasn't happy with the design so I kept it to use in my kitchen. I used g flex epoxy on the scales and proper surface prep, strong spring clamps (I had never even heard the "too much clamping pressure" theory before). This knife has been used nearly every day, lays in the sink wet, has even been in the dishwasher twice (accidentally) and the scales arent even starting to lift or crack anywhere. Scales look like they are part of the tang, not even a hair line glue joint is visible.

I have had to remove two of my own handles, one hidden tang, one full tang. I have always used g-flex. It was absolutely BRUTAL getting those scales off. Hammer, band saw and grinder were necessary.

Take from that what you will.

that's been my experience with Gflex as well. The only handle scale I've had try to pop loose has been a folder handle where I used natural horn material. I've carried it every day for about two years. The one scale that has let go a tiny bit hasn't come off, but it does lift a tiny bit at the bolster. Heck, for all I know I made the scale fit too tight and scraped half the epoxy off when I was trying to cram it in there between the bolsters.

Back