Camp knife with mesquite and Benghazi Warfighter with Micarta

Stormcrow

This is a pair I made some time back, before starting work on tomahawks, and I just haven't put pictures up yet.

They're both 5160 with leather sheaths. The first's blade is about 7" - 8" (I forgot to measure before mailing it), with mesquite handle slabs and brass pins and flared tube lanyard hole.

The second is a Benghazi Warfighter model with a short false edge and natural canvas Micarta.

The customer wanted to dye the leather himself, so requested it undyed.

looks good.
I really need to try some tube rivets. they seem like they would be really strong.

What is your take on it? Is there any real difference in strength between a pin that is peened into a countersink versus a tube that is swelled/bent/peened into one?

kc

I really like the flared lanyard tube - you did real good James.

I've had problems with brass tube splitting a tad when flaring using dies and press. I even tried annealing the brass first. Perhaps my brass is too thin - a 1/4" tube from Hobby Lobby - real thin.

Ken h>

Tim - Thank you!

Kevin - Using the tubing is easier, and you can get good spread on the flare, making for a strong mechanical hold. I like it more than pins.

Ken - Yep, I had some hobby tubing tear out on me. Too thin on the walls. I get the stainless or brass tubing from USA Knifemaker. Stainless is stronger, but some things look better with brass.

Back