Camillus grind question

moose30273

Hi
My first post and a question. If it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move. I had reicently purchased a Camillus fighting utility knife (KA-BAR) to use. It was one of the 70's era knives with the dark brown coating on blade and sheath. It is as new as it can be for it's age. Bought it over the internet. Anyway, when I got it I thought the blade was bent. Turned out to be an optical illusion. The blade grind is just off. Anyone who has tried to make knives wil understand what I am talking about. You can / will remove more metal from one side of the blade than the other. Looks funny and curves the cutting edge just a little bit. My collectors question is; Is this just par for the course for these knives and their quality control? Or is this something wrong but rare like a double stamped coin? Just wanted to check with someone before I started sharpening. I bought the Camillus instead of a new Ka-Bar simply because being a traditionalist, I do not like what Ka-Bar has done to their flagship knife. But that is a rant for post #2 maybe. Thanks in advance for entertaining my silly question.

Hi
My first post and a question. If it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move. I had reicently purchased a Camillus fighting utility knife (KA-BAR) to use. It was one of the 70's era knives with the dark brown coating on blade and sheath. It is as new as it can be for it's age. Bought it over the internet. Anyway, when I got it I thought the blade was bent. Turned out to be an optical illusion. The blade grind is just off. Anyone who has tried to make knives wil understand what I am talking about. You can / will remove more metal from one side of the blade than the other. Looks funny and curves the cutting edge just a little bit. My collectors question is; Is this just par for the course for these knives and their quality control? Or is this something wrong but rare like a double stamped coin? Just wanted to check with someone before I started sharpening. I bought the Camillus instead of a new Ka-Bar simply because being a traditionalist, I do not like what Ka-Bar has done to their flagship knife. But that is a rant for post #2 maybe. Thanks in advance for entertaining my silly question.

Since this is one of the 70's era knives there is no particular collectors value there.
The knives that have a increase in value are the WWII or prior in age Military pattern or some of the other Vietnam era

Also there is no Double stamp type rarity there ether as far as I know concerning the lousy grind.

Sharpen away!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

some of those 70's era camillus "ka-bars" were pretty ruff. the dark brown coating sounds kind of odd. most that i have seen were parkrised . but with military knives your likely to run to any thing. sharpen it up and use it.

sorry man. the handle is off centered ? we are talking about a stacked leather handle right. yea that wasn't uncommon at all . but it's easy to fix .

Whatever it is that is off center or bent or not ground properly there is no added value. Knives from that era don't have any fantastic investment potential so, to reiterate previous advice, use it! sharpen it! refurbish it!

Back