Butterfly sheath

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I started making these a month or so ago and really like them they are hard to sew, because they have 2 times as much sewing. I do it all by hand ,feibings brown dye ,8 oz vegtable tan leather , 35 pound polyester waxed thread ,some stamping and burnished the edges with some gunk for burnishing then used Eco Flow super sheen to protect it inside and out. Kellyw
20100202_1.jpg
HPIM2252.jpg

Very primitive looking, gives me the feel of an old frontier scabbard. I like the rustic appeal.

The pattern is often referred to as pancake, its modeled after the pancake pistol holster. A butterfly pattern is folded with a seam partially up the spine, when the pattern is opened up it looks like a butterfly.

Nice job on those, I love the rustic color and stamping.2thumbs

I always called that a pancake as well. It is some extra sewing but are very sturdy way to make a small holster. I make my phone cases that way and concealed carry holsters. It's fine for small knives but if they get much length they will poke into the seat when you sit down because it cant rock on the belt like one large loop can.

Leatherman, is this what you call a butterfly sheath? It does kinda look like one before you sew it.
DSCN2150.jpg

Hellgap, the way you did the stamping on the first one reminds me of work you see on holsters dating in and around the 1870's. That and the way you have "antiqued" the color makes it look very old.

Very Well Done!!!2thumbs

Back