Burner advice ?

dancalvin

I did some research on burner fabrication , before I made my first . I am using a .035" MIG tip inside a 1 1/2 pipe with about 20 lbs of pressure . It works , but I would like to get the pressure a bit lower , also I would like it to warm up quicker .
My forge is made of stacked hard type insulating brick .

Any ideas to gas the gas pressure down and the heat up ?

I agree, 20psi is quite a lot of gas, even for a venturi burner. I think that your problem probably lies with your forge body. The hard fire brick is not much of an insulator, it serves more as a thermal mass to collect and reflect the heat. I would help us see what you're dealing with if you would post a picture of your forge.

Doug Lester

I haven't been able to post pics . My only internet access at home is an Android phone.
But I know a guy that worked at one of the local brick plants until he retired , I think he may have a stash of brick I might raid . I got what I have now from his son .
We will see what happens .
I have an old grease barrel I am gonna line with koawool and try when I get a chance .
Thanks

If your sources fail, you can check with Wayne Coe. He sells the soft bricks at a pretty good price.

I have made a few burners in the past and had some of the same problems. My first thought is the size hole on your nozzle is maybe too small causing to build up too much pressure and not giving you enough gas to get real hot. It is a balancing act to get the right mixture. I have used a #60 to 62 size bit for the hole. your pressure should be in the 8 to 10 psi. Just some Ideas to look at . I have not made one for some time and I finally bought a forge 2 years ago and haven't messed with my home made forge since. Good luck Steve

check out zoeller forge
I think your problem is the size of your pipe
I'm using a zoeller side arm burner 3/4" pipe with a T 35 mig tip
and I am able to run my large forge thru the entire PSI range 2-30 PSI with no problem
I really like the side arm burner easy to make,Go to larry zoellers web site
Hope this helps

I think I will try a similar design to that side arm burner . When I get a few other things done . I'll post back in a couple days and let y'all if it works .

Thanks

Venturi burners have their advantage; you don't need a a supply a electricity to run them but a blown forge is much easier to build. The only thing that you need to drill and tap is where you attach the a brass nipple to the air pipe to bring in the gas. If you shop around air blowers need not be all that expensive. Check some of the electircal surplus stores on line. The blower need to be continuous use and have an output of around 60cfm minimum. Air flow can be reulated by a gate valve on the air supply. The gas line should have a needle valve for adjusting the gas flow and a ball valve as an emergency cut off. Never have the gas on without the blower being on or you may get your eyebrows singed (don't ask).

Doug Lester

Any ideas to gas the gas pressure down and the heat up ?

To decrease gas pressure will require enlarging the orifice.

I suspect that in order to get a quicker heat up, your going to have to go with something that has more insulating quality than the hard bricks and a possible redesign of the actual forge chamber.

(small area= faster heat up, and requires less input to do so) The big thing with a gas forge is BALANCE....you must discover the correct balance of insulation, forge chamber shape/size, and burner out put to achieve the results you seek.

Thanks for the tips guys. As soon as I get all the parts to finish rebuilding the transmission out of my pickup . I'll have room and time to do some experimentation .

Back