Building a grinder and need some help

FdLtMike

Hey guys I'm in the process of gathering everything needed to build a grinder for my shop. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right directon for the drive and contact wheels. I was told I can use skateboard wheels. Not sure if they will stand up to the rpm's. I was also looking at granger supply and found metal caster wheels with bearings. Is this an option as well?

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/ PLEASE! Do Not use skateboard wheels! That is a terrible accident in the making! Use the right part, for the right application and you'll likely have a machine you can use/count on for many years......go "cheap-o" and you're likely to be frustrated at best, or maimed at worst.

I agree with Ed.

USAKnifemaker.com carries Beaumont wheels as well as some slightly more economical wheels if you want to save a little bit and still have a quality wheel. Beaumont are definitely your best option however.
You'll also find several other parts in Boss's store for your grinder build, should you need them and/or be unable to source them locally.

BTW... if you can swing the extra bucks, go with rubber coated wheels for your platen and drive wheels. You'll be glad you did.

I have a Grizzly. Not the easiest thing to grind on. It has one speed: FAST. It took me quite a while to get used to grinding on it.

ric

I have used skateboard wheels before, the ones off those big skateboards, i took one of the wheels, drilled out the center to fit on a water pump bearing from an old automotive water pump I had in my scrap pile and used that for my tracking wheel on a 2 wheel grinder I built out of scrap. I thought it worked pretty well.

but considering the time I had into it, the next grinder I built I ordered the tracking wheel from usaknifemaker. I like that one and the drive wheel I got from them that I dont make wheels any more. I just order them. you can spend alot of time trying to make wheels from skateboard wheels, castors, and such, or you can order the right part and save money on the grinder by using scrap steel, and used motors. the wheels are better bought.

Back