Bugout blades

That's really cool to see your knives in a story like that. I see your client has large and small tasks (and a bit of defense) covered.

That's cool James. A while back, a friend of mine said he thought he saw a knife of yours on the History channel show called "Alone". Not sure if it was or not, but from his description it sounded like it may have been. It was one of the contestant's main knife.

Thanks, guys!

Tai, I actually thought it might be one of *yours* when I was told about it since it has a hikot. But some digging around turned up this:

I've been curious since someone asked me if he was carrying one of mine because I make integral socket handled blades. Not too many makers in the US doing so, and even fewer making the hikot scabbard (open faced board that allows moisture to drain and dry). I figured it was probably a Filipino rig since that's where that kind of setup comes from, but a little digging around turned this up on another knife forum, gleaned from Lucas' Facebook page:

"It's a custom forged knife, made by Jason Hawk of outlaw cutlery. Inspired by the hand forged blades of Indonesia , as well as the open face sheath, suited for wet environments . The hollow handle allows for an ever ready handle (no pins to break, etc) as well as a receiving space for a staff to convert into a spear . It also was built to be a pipe , in case medicine was needed to get into the lungs, if I got sick . About a 9" blade, forward heavy , great chopper, etc. Actually , it's quite balanced. Now that I handle it again. I usually use smaller blades in the bush, but the weight and the ability to hack and process brush for shelters was indispensable . I love smaller blades for crafting, traps, game, but I would take I knife like this again, of I could only take one blade ."

That's interesting. Jason is also a student and close friend of mine. He didn't mention it, but I haven't talked to him for a while. I think he's up in Arkansas doing some footage for "Mountain Men"... busy guy! He also had a leading role in "No Man's Land", which I also appeared in, on the premier episode. It was fun doing the filming with Jason, but other than that, the show was a flop. He's a very talented knifemaker and a great reality actor,... hasn't had time to hang out for some time now.

There is a similarity in some of the work the three of us do... similar tribal influences, survivalist mind set etc. He thinks of it as neo-tribal/post modern/post apocalyptic. He does the "outlaw/survival genre" well. :)

... It's good to know our little "movement" is getting some exposure. :)

good for all three of you! I am working without electricity (except to a drill press) for the foreseeable future, and it makes me respect this style more. I really have to elevate my forging chops. It is a little different when I can't just walk over to the kmg and grind in those bevels.

take care.

From what little I've seen of Jason's knives, he does good work. If I were going into a situation like depicted in "Alone", I think a nice-sized integral socket-handled blade would be my choice for main cutting implement.

Tai, I'm going to have to see if I can find that episode available online. :)

Kevin - Plenty of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in making these. :D But I'd like to think that if they weren't available, I'd still be able to make knives.

Back