Buffing Compound and wheels to use on wood handles

nstar1977

Hello group, I'm new here and would like to know what buffing compound and wheels you would use to put a gloss or shine on a knife handle that would bring out the wood grain. thanks for your help. Larry

I just sand too 1500 grit, then rub in 4 coats of tung oil wiping it with 0000 steel wool between coats. Follow that with 2 or 3 more coats of tung oil buffed using a cotton rag shoe shine like method. It has work every time for me. No wheel involved in my method.

I use stabilized woods and Bossdog Kirinite for my handles.

I hand sand to 1000 - 2000 grit then I use a a soft cotton buff and a white jewelry Rouge called Fabalustor.
The shine beautifully!

It depends on the wood.

typically I sand to at least 1000 grit, then use tung oil and let it dry.
After that I will buff with white (fine) compound lightly, then switch to a dry cotton buff with wax.
Some woods like Pink No Scratch if the pores are filled in. Open pored type wood gets dirty looking from pink no scratch (or even white) compound. It's trial and error on that.

thanks guy tung oil and hand rub ok sand to a finer grit than i have done before 400 need to get some 1000 grit thanks again for the info does no one use a buffer ? i know my has grab knife out of my hand in just the few times i have tried it :) nice to see the HEAD guy here Boss dog answer question i like that thank

Last edited:
I use stabilized wood as well but I tried tung oil after Mark (Burl Source) suggested it and it really makes the grain jump out.

Great answers by all you guys.Most knife makers think since the wood is stabilized , you should be able to polish it like a piece of plastic. That's fine to a certain extent but all wood has fibers and no matter how "saturated" the wood is the exposed fiber still needs to be addressed. I also use Tru-Oil, its always that extra layer of protection that makes a knife stay in the customers hands instead of back in yours

Faron Moore
CEO Moores Customs

Back