Buffing and Chain Mail

Grizzly Bear

I know this is probably the stupidest post on this forum but does anybody use chain-mail when buffing so that a run-away blade doesn't stab them?
I have looked on the internet and have learned that the weapon's grade full length versions are very expensive. Is it worth it when weighing the risk involved in buffing? I know - how much is my life worth - but if the potential risk that a fatal accident might happen be worth the money?

I know most of you use leather aprons, which I will definitely buy, but my wife and I are afraid I will get injured when she is away and
can't help me and I will bleed to death.

I read that someone bought a cow hide (from Tandy Leather?) and made an apron out of it. What thickness of hide should it be?

Thanks so much for your input. I'm getting close to having my shop finished and am trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Grizzly Bear

I wear a leather apron all the time I'm working in the shop. Also I switched from using a buffer to using felt belts on my grinder to buff polish my projects. A lot safer and buffs just as good.

George thanks for the reply. I hope others do to.

I got the idea of using chain mail because mid-evil combat sportsmen use chainmail so that they don't get cut with the very real swords that they use when fighting. Yes, there is a sport where modern-day people fight with real swords in tournaments.

I was wanting to know if anyone out there has ever heard of anyone doing this. This might not be such a stupid question as I first thought.

I am having a hard time finding full length leather aprons w. bids that are wider than 24". I am a big man and it would take 3 of these to fit around my waist and flanks. Does anyone have an idea as to where to buy a heavy gauge large full length leather apron?

I have also looked at Kevlar aprons. Is Kevlar a better option than leather?

I may have to buy a cow hide and make my own.

Thanks for your input.

Grizzly Bear

It's a great idea in my mind, I just don't know how practical it is.

David Boye's book shows pictures of how he build guards around his buffing wheel so that the only part of the wheel that is open is the section of face you buff on. The idea is that should the buffer snatch the blade from you, the blade will hopefully be ejected somewhere in the 270degrees of rotation that is enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think the risk involved with sharp knives and buffers is worth it. I used to use a buffer in my jewelry shop when I first got started and soon realized the potential for damaged goods and personal injury that is involved with this machine. As George pointed out above there are other methods to achieve similar results that do not require a potentially deadly game of buffer roulette. I know of a man who lost his hand in a knife/buffer incident. I do not have one in my shop.

Thanks guys. Looks like I should practice prevention instead of defense from buffer accidents. Just never used a buffer before and got concerned from all of the horror stories.

I will respect this machine even more so than my grinder or band saw.

Thanks Again,

Grizzly Bear

Low HP buffer, low enough that you can bog the motor if it catches on the knife..firm grip on knife at all times, no distractions, and stand to the side, just in case.

George thanks for the reply. I hope others do to.

I got the idea of using chain mail because mid-evil combat sportsmen use chainmail so that they don't get cut with the very real swords that they use when fighting. Yes, there is a sport where modern-day people fight with real swords in tournaments.

I was wanting to know if anyone out there has ever heard of anyone doing this. This might not be such a stupid question as I first thought.

I am having a hard time finding full length leather aprons w. bids that are wider than 24". I am a big man and it would take 3 of these to fit around my waist and flanks. Does anyone have an idea as to where to buy a heavy gauge large full length leather apron?

I have also looked at Kevlar aprons. Is Kevlar a better option than leather?

I may have to buy a cow hide and make my own.

Thanks for your input.

Grizzly Bear

I you have not looked here, check this link out. On the expensive side (depending on how much you value safety though) but does offer big & tall sizes.

https://www.moonshineleather.com/leathershopaprons.cfm

Say CQbaum, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I like the XL/XT Heavy Duty Leather apron. It will give me a wrap around effect that will protect my flanks and the extra length will protect my lower legs while I grind. Thanks so much for posting this for me.

Grizzly Bear

Around here you just go to the harness shop and get one made. Mine was $35 but not as heavy as you want. Might want to check places like that as well.

Say CQbaum, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I like the XL/XT Heavy Duty Leather apron. It will give me a wrap around effect that will protect my flanks and the extra length will protect my lower legs while I grind. Thanks so much for posting this for me.

Grizzly Bear

You're more than welcome Grizzly. Most places only stock 'one size fits all' but if you are someone not in that 'one size' slot then it just isn't going to work good! Nothing like well made and durable safety equipment for protection. I have had folks ask me many times why I wear leather boots while working instead of a soft type shoe that would be cooler and less heavy. My answer is always 'that's why' when they drop something on or smack their foot against something hard and they limp around with a sore foot for a day or two.

I wear a leather apron all the time I'm working in the shop. Also I switched from using a buffer to using felt belts on my grinder to buff polish my projects. A lot safer and buffs just as good.

TS- Thanks for this info. I'm still in the infancy stage of becoming a knife maker, and had decided to only hand rub/satin finish from buffer fear. I like the idea of buffing on the sander a lot more. Time to look into felt belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back