Buffers, Maybe The Most Dangerous Machine In Your Shop.

Thanks guys, now I've got sweaty palms. I've never had a blade get tossed, but bolsters hurt pretty bad when they smack you too (when polishing the front edge before assembly). My buffer gives me the willies! I've found it also helps to keep loading it up with rouge, because more rouge polishes faster and better and I'm less inclined to use too much pressure (bad) and instead more likely to let the rouge do the work (good).

I built one of these for each of my buffers and they have been tested several times and work great.
-John

Attachments

• dewclawandshop009.jpg
    dewclawandshop009.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 54
I have yet to have a blade yanked from my hand, I know I'm lucky. I'm also cautious as I'm sure most of us are. Here are my ideas...

I use a lower speed buffer 1750 RPM

I use sewn muslin wheels not the real loose ones

I always buff sharp edge down

I buff on the 3 oclock to 5 oclock position on the wheel

I don't torque the nuts down on my buffing wheels, this helped me by stopping the wheel rotation before it could take my knife from me when I apply too much preasure

I focus every bit of my attention to the task at hand, no distractions when buffing

I have heavy rubber mat on the floor under the buffing wheels just in case

I'm sure I'll have a knife ripped from my hand some day, but I am not affraid of or intimidated by the buffer. If you are affraid of your equipment it will bite you

I think I gave .05 on that one...

Chris I had a blade tore out of my hand and it scared the crap out of me. The knife flew around the buffer missed me by inches and hit the floor. It took a large chip out of the blade it hit so hard . I made it into a finger gaurd and thats a big chip. 3/4 inch long 1/2 deep in the cpm154. kellyw

I'm sure a blade can and will be grabbed by my buffer at some point. However as with all the rest of my power tools I'm still going to use it. I will respect it, but not be afraid of it.

The scariest tool in my shop became the drill press one afternoon. I wasn't using the proper bit and it basically welded itself into the knife. The knife was torn from my grip and went spinning around at about 200 RPM until it broke loose and flew all the way across my garage. All I could think about was the fact that it could have sliced my gut open from one side to the other.

I think alot harder about what I'm doing and if I'm using the right tool for the job now!

Drill presses can be spooky, that's true. I too have had a workpiece yanked out of my hand and spin around. Luckily, I turned the press off, ducked, and it slowed to a stop before anything horrible happened. Nowadays I'm a lot more careful about my drilling technique, and clamp down anything that might kick my butt if it does catch as the bit breaks through. So far, so good. Another technique for longer pieces, is to line it up so the workpiece is against the column; Either way, if it does want to catch and spin, the piece can't go anywhere and the bit will probably snap. That's no fun, but it's better than having things fly across the room or into you.

Chris, I agree that we must respect our tools, but not be afraid of them. Fear makes you jumpy, and being jumpy makes you foul things up.

Never ever EVER grab at something that's falling or otherwise out of control! Chances are, it's either hot, sharp, heavy, or all three. Kill the power (if applicable) and get the heck out of the way.

Last edited:
Guys, one thing that helps with the buffing is to really take the blade up to the higher grits. I go up to 5 microns for all my blades, especially for hand satin finishes. I don't do a lot of mirror polished blades, but at one time I did. Anyway, if you take them to 5 microns it won't take but a minute to get a mirror finish. Less time on the buffer equals less chance of having an accident. Be careful.
-John

Back