Buffer PPE

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Ok I finally went and did it. Buffing away on my 3600rpm buffer, was turning the knife around to go at the other side and suddenly the blade was not in my hands and had drawn blood on (3) three limbs- hand gash, point into right thigh and spun down where spine hammered left shin bone. I've driven a few into the garage floor (always point first) but never into myself.
I was mostly upset that I had to stop and bandaid-up before finishing blade, but looking back, it could have been worse and I better learn to be a little safer. I have a leather apron on order now and wanted to just remind everyone that a buffer can be pretty dangerous and to wear PPE.

Buffers are the one of if not the most dangerous tools we have. If it had cut one of the Arteries in your thighs you might bleed out before you could get to help. I have a full thickness full hide Apron that hangs past my knees to protect those Arteries and the family jewels! :3: Be care brother.

I have a buffer but, never use it. I use felt and cork belts on my grinder for polishing. A lot safer. As I enter the shop the first thing that happen is the putting on of my knee length leather apron.

Glad you're alright!

Happens to all of us ONCE, but you seem to have a knack for it. :34:When buffing, I use a a wood support. I've seen guys make 'em look like fine furniture, but mine is just a piece of MDF board about 1 1/2 wide and 10" or so long (depends on blade size). I drill a couple holes to match the handle pin holes and bolt the blade on with a couple of bolts / wing nuts. This helps in several ways. It prevents buffer cloth from wrapping around and edge and ripping the blade out of your hand. It also means you have a better grip holding onto a smooth 3/8 piece of wood instead of an edged pointy thing. Lastly, if it does get away from you somehow, you are getting schwacked with a blunt piece of MDF instead of metal that was specifically designed to penetrate.

Hope that makes sense. I'd post a pic but it's really just a piece of scrap wood with two holes, big enough to support the whole area of the blade. It isn't much good for handle buffing.

Rob!

Thanks for the input guys. I used to do all my polishing on Norax belts only, but now use cork belts with white and green compound for high grits as it seems faster. On knives where want that bright mirror effect I use green compound and a 12" air buff to finish off.
Rob appreciate the idea on the buffing block- wouldn't take much to make one of those and would be a good safety measure- will give it a try.

Glad to hear you weren't injured really bad - a thrown blade sure can cause real damage.

Those high power fast spinning buffers sure can be dangerous. I've had a few blades grabbed myself. I have changed to a 1/4hp, 1725 rpm buffer. Since I don't use a buffer for removing metal, but just putting the shine to handle or blade, AFTER it's been finished to at least 1,000 grit - buffer just doesn't need much power. With only 1/4 hp and using a 1/2" buffer wheel, it won't grab the blade. The wheel will just collapse. MUCH safer that way.

I've got the 1ph, 3600 RPM buffer sitting to the side and just don't use it - I MUCH prefer the 1/4 hp 1725 rpm setup.

Of course, it still requires care in buffing.

Ken H>

Last edited:
I still use buffer but am keenly aware of its dangers. I will not use if I am in a hurry, distracted or just not feeling well. Requires utmost concerntration, IMHO

I've got a 3600 rpm buffer, and yea there dangerous as all get out. I've had my share of catches over the years.you really need to concentrate when your running these things. some time last year there was a story in blade magazine of a knife maker that had a blade come off his buffer and put it in an artery, it killed him.

Good input and thanks for the words guys. Ken yes I have noticed many go with the lower speed and power buffers and change process so don't have to buff so much with high speed buffer. This is really the right thing to do in long term because if doing fine grinding correctly, it should be minimum buffer work to get it mirror. K-Steve, this is good advice on being focused and not in hurry. I think after what happened I'm going to slow process considerably. Thanks Slatroni...
Would be a terrible way to go but the leg artery risk is real Bgrinder.
I got my new leather apron today so need to make my block now...

Glad your ok Paul, I always worry about that when I'm buffing. To me it's hands down the most dangerous tool in my shop.

Wayne

Back