Budget belt grinder

MammothSkullKnives

Hello new and old dogs! After a couple years I’ve of watching knife making videos by Alec Steele and Red Beard Ops, I’m finally taking the plunge into knife making. Albeit at a slow pace. My fiancé got me a knife making kit for Christmas that I plan to start now that the weather is finally breaking here in Michigan. I’ve also purchased some flat stock pieces of steel to do a stock removal knife. I have tools that will get me by but I’m looking for a budget friendly belt grinder. I’ve seen a few n harbor freights website and in a couple other home improvement stores but don’t know good from bad from ugly when it comes to them. Part of the problem is that I don’t have a dedicated workspace either, so it needs to be able to be picked up and moved to a shelf at the end of the day. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

I have seen some guys doing nice stuff with filing jigs? Super portable and much less than a good belt sander.

Some guys get good results on 1x30 and 2x42" belt sanders, but the flexy platens and low power are the 2 draw backs to them. You would need to find a way to beef up the platens on either I am guessing from the pics I have seen. Either way, you will be doing a lot of hand sanding. What size/style knives are you going to be making?

Mostly skinning and camp knives, as hunting is my other main hobby. I’d like to try a filet knife but the blade is so thin that I think it’ll be awhile before I try my hand at that. I’ll look into filing jigs as well. From what I’ve read the biggest drawback to low end grinders is that it’s one speed, fast lol.

I started out with a 1x42 belt sander just like the one in the link attached. I still have it and it works great!

Mine has a very sturdy platen and there was a company that made the glass platen just the right size for this machine.

It can be lifted and moved around and has a small footprint.

Mine is not a Grizzly but looks nearly identical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017K8W3...olid=2H0XHL9QUIXPO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I'm strictly bush league but I have this same Grizzly grinder and have managed to built a few decent knives so far with it. I did bolster up the platen by welding some gussets to the L shape to eliminate flex, and I bonded a leather strip to the platen as well.

It works "okay" and it allowed me to get started in the knife making pursuit, but it is now apparent above all else that to progress to the next level I will need a 2x72 with variable speed. The fixed high speed is by far the biggest disadvantage to doing precise work.

It takes a lot of time and effort to get to the stage that you start grinding the bevels, and all that work can get wasted in a split second trying to grind at that high speed.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from taking this route. I would probably do the same thing again. Just know that's where the limitation is going to be. But it's a great way to get started and find out if you want to take it further!

(BTW - I don't remember what I paid for mine but that price in the Amazon link seems a bit high.)

Good luck!

andy

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking more along the lines of the one in the link below. From the research I did I’ve found that I’ll have to make some modifications to make it work a little better. My plan is to use an angle grinder to rough out the shape of the knife then hand file and use the belt grinder to get it to shape and grind in the bevel. Then use a sharpening jig that I have to get the edge profile. If my thinking is way off please let me know. I’ll be sure to post pics of my first knife when I get it done!

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking more along the lines of the one in the link below. From the research I did I’ve found that I’ll have to make some modifications to make it work a little better. My plan is to use an angle grinder to rough out the shape of the knife then hand file and use the belt grinder to get it to shape and grind in the bevel. Then use a sharpening jig that I have to get the edge profile. If my thinking is way off please let me know. I’ll be sure to post pics of my first knife when I get it done!

That's just way too small and underpowered IMO. It's better than doing everything by hand I guess.

I outgrew the 1x42 after 3 knives. It was just torture for me. Some people have good luck with the 2x42 belt sanders but I never used one.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Make sure you can return the 1x30 if it doesn't work out for you. The small belt sanders are useful for handle work and knife sharpening too.

That's what I started with I still have it.good way to start .make sure its something you wanted to do before you spend the money on a 2x72

You may want to get a copy of David Boye’s book “Step By Step Knifemaking”. Back before common mortals had access to variable speed 2x72 belt grinders, people like David Boye were turning out beautiful knives with bench grinders and files.

Now, let’s not kid ourselves. A 2x72 with a VFD is absolutely the king of the knife shop, but knives can be made without one and have been for thousands of years. The key point here is that time didn’t mean anything back then.

Get that book. It’s worth every penny.

You may want to get a copy of David Boye’s book “Step By Step Knifemaking”. Back before common mortals had access to variable speed 2x72 belt grinders, people like David Boye were turning out beautiful knives with bench grinders and files.

Now, let’s not kid ourselves. A 2x72 with a VFD is absolutely the king of the knife shop, but knives can be made without one and have been for thousands of years. The key point here is that time didn’t mean anything back then.

Get that book. It’s worth every penny.
The book is on the way now lol. If I had the funds I’d definitely be going the 2x72 route but alas, I have other things that need doing, like my roof. Figured the 1x30 will get me started and hopefully last awhile until I can upgrade.

If the budget is tight, I wouldn’t bother with the small belt grinder unless you have another interest that it could be used for. They suck, they are hard to find abrasives for, and in order to make anything decent you are going to be spending a LOT of time with a file in your hands. You can get them close with an angle grinder, and then use files and sandpaper. At least for the first one, then think about the grinder. The 2x72 Grizzly is a kinda decent grinder. If you make one, and like it, then you can always decide to get the grinder. I used a 2 x 42 Kalamazoo grinder for quite a while, and it worked, (I spent a lot of time filing) but you have a lot more choices once you get a 2 x 72. I run a Bader now, and bog that thing down sometimes when I’m hogging. You will want some power if you are going to make lots of them, and if you don’t make lots, then you will have a grinder that you secretly hate that only gets used a couple times a year. Just my two cents I guess.

If the budget is tight, I wouldn’t bother with the small belt grinder unless you have another interest that it could be used for. They suck, they are hard to find abrasives for, and in order to make anything decent you are going to be spending a LOT of time with a file in your hands. You can get them close with an angle grinder, and then use files and sandpaper. At least for the first one, then think about the grinder. The 2x72 Grizzly is a kinda decent grinder. If you make one, and like it, then you can always decide to get the grinder. I used a 2 x 42 Kalamazoo grinder for quite a while, and it worked, (I spent a lot of time filing) but you have a lot more choices once you get a 2 x 72. I run a Bader now, and bog that thing down sometimes when I’m hogging. You will want some power if you are going to make lots of them, and if you don’t make lots, then you will have a grinder that you secretly hate that only gets used a couple times a year. Just my two cents I guess.

thanks Edward, I appreciate the input. I think at the end of the day, I’m going to get the grinder. It’ll be something that even if I don’t like it for knife making, I can still use it in woodworking projects or when just a little bit of grinding is needed. It’s $60 and I’ve wasted more money on less useful things lol. I’m just dipping my toes into all of this so if it eases the learning curve just a little and I don’t get to discouraged then it will be worth it.

thanks Edward, I appreciate the input. I think at the end of the day, I’m going to get the grinder. It’ll be something that even if I don’t like it for knife making, I can still use it in woodworking projects or when just a little bit of grinding is needed. It’s $60 and I’ve wasted more money on less useful things lol. I’m just dipping my toes into all of this so if it eases the learning curve just a little and I don’t get to discouraged then it will be worth it.
Ya, if it’s not completely wasted money if you don’t like how it works, by all means do it. Hopefully you like making knives, but I’ll warn ya, it’s an expensive addiction! Where are you located? If you are near me, and want to try out a 2 x 72, I would certainly let you turn some steel to dust with mine. I’m in western MN

You might look at Tracy Mickley's NWGS plans. If you're creative with sourcing parts, you could probably build a basic flat platen model for around $500. At the very least, you could start sourcing some parts a little at a time while you work with your 1x30.
Also, I'm not sure what part of Michigan you're in, but there's a lot of knife makers in Michigan. At the very least, there may be some local makers who would be willing to let you try one of their grinders out if you wanna see what you're missing. ;)

Ya, if it’s not completely wasted money if you don’t like how it works, by all means do it. Hopefully you like making knives, but I’ll warn ya, it’s an expensive addiction! Where are you located? If you are near me, and want to try out a 2 x 72, I would certainly let you turn some steel to dust with mine. I’m in western MN
Haha as are most of my hobbies. I can definitely see this one being more so because unless I sell them it’s almost all at a loss. But a fun endeavor either way. I am in southern Michigan myself so a bit of a hike but I do appreciate the offer!

You might look at Tracy Mickley's NWGS plans. If you're creative with sourcing parts, you could probably build a basic flat platen model for around $500. At the very least, you could start sourcing some parts a little at a time while you work with your 1x30.
Also, I'm not sure what part of Michigan you're in, but there's a lot of knife makers in Michigan. At the very least, there may be some local makers who would be willing to let you try one of their grinders out if you wanna see what you're missing. ;)
That is a very good idea. I’ll have to post in here and see if there’s anyone nearby that I can get in touch with to ask questions and get feedback from. I personally don’t know anybody that makes knives.

My grinder is the No Weld Grinder. I was using a 4x36 prior to building my 2x72. If you decide to go this route I have a few extra parts you can have.

While we're on the topic of buying equipment to get into the game, the biggest boost I made to my novice knife-making was to get a porta-band (Milwaukee) and Swag table. Having a band saw that can cut metal is a game changer. Before getting it I was roughing out my blade peripheries using straight line cuts with a manual hack saw and then cleaning them up back to the scribe line with my 1x42 Grizzly grinder.

I still don't have a 2x72, but at least I can get the blanks shaped relatively quickly now. At least now when I goof up a bevel on the cheap grinder and toss the blade in the scrap bin, I'm not out all that time and misery of manual hack-sawing to even get to the bevel grinding step.

-andy

Back