Brut de Forge Challenge

One piece knife. Hand forged. Under 9 inches. Hammer finish.

Brut de Forge means Raw from the Forge. This term was first applied to knifemaking in a Neo-Tribal forum about 12 years ago. It was used to describe the hammered finish put on some Neo-Tribal work.

One piece, meaning just a piece of steel forged into a knife. Hand forged, meaning no power hammer stamped out cookie cutter mass produce stuff. Under 9 inches means from tip of blade to end of handle. Hammer finish, meaning the one piece of steel you use to make the knife is hand forged and that you leave that finish on the surface so it shows your skill with a hammer. Can you grind out a knife and then forge a finish on it. Yes you can, if you have no ethics but if you want to show what you can do with your arm and hammer then let's play!

Haven't checked this topic for a while, but of course i'm in, will start forging next week when i have some time left and see what come's out of the hammer;)

Nice small propane setup Tim!
Would love to know how you build up this one cause it looks so small and compact?
cheers Igor

how is the Brut de Forge Challenge coming along. I would love to see the knives yall are making.

d adams
Jn. 3:16

It took me while to make some time for it, but i forged this brut de forge hunter today and only filed the sharpen edge on it, hopefully a can harden it tomorrow and put some scales on it,....TBC;)
This damascus is forged out of C100 and wrought iron.
Cheers Igor
10388100_10152543832914575_2950320861580028825_n.jpg

Last edited:
That's just plain pretty, I've always really liked that type of Damascus with wrought iron.

I have big broken back seax about finished I just need to refine the tang a bit more, forge a guard and make the handle, I've got a real pretty piece of English walnut that'll be perfect.

Thanx guyes,
This is a one piece knife GHEzell, just wrap some leather around the handle and you got your one-piece knife?
I like this knife to much for some leather wrapping so i added scales and it will be a user for myself!
Cheers Igor

I'm game for some play time, but Tim or group how about some clarification. Isn't one piece One piece? Handle included? Leather thong, a two piece knife, scales a three piece? Rivets and scales seven pieces or more? Be nice to compare apples to apples. Generous time frame I hope as I'm a part time maker and work's very busy til winter. Filing the flats a bit allowed,, just not extensively? Or just the edge only? Scale removal allowed , only no power tools, let the ol vinegar do its work. No sand paper, but some sand on canvas ok. Don't obliterate the forge finish, but can bring out the highlights with sand?? Minimal filing of profile, 90% by hammer. If Damascus some etching allowed? No power tools? Any holes hot punched, any odd curlies hot chiseled. What thinkest you all?

I'm game for some play time, but Tim or group how about some clarification. Isn't one piece One piece? Handle included? Leather thong, a two piece knife, scales a three piece? Rivets and scales seven pieces or more? Be nice to compare apples to apples. Generous time frame I hope as I'm a part time maker and work's very busy til winter. Filing the flats a bit allowed,, just not extensively? Or just the edge only? Scale removal allowed , only no power tools, let the ol vinegar do its work. No sand paper, but some sand on canvas ok. Don't obliterate the forge finish, but can bring out the highlights with sand?? Minimal filing of profile, 90% by hammer. If Damascus some etching allowed? No power tools? Any holes hot punched, any odd curlies hot chiseled. What thinkest you all?

That was my thinking also, but I don't like being one who pushes my ideas on others, so I'll try not to fuss.

Why don't we go ahead and turn this into a KITH?

I've already got a 10 incher, with the back of the handle tempered to be a strike a lite, but for this I'll go for a 9"er. I'll forge another file into a 9' overall. I've never done a KITH, but I'm game for this. The bronze age gives us many examples of one piece cutters, or the Viking women's knives for examples. This could be a chance to stretch our forging skills to another level. What do you all think about the above suggestions??

Back