Brush choppers with leather

Stormcrow

Finished these three recently and got them in the mail. All three are 5160, triple normalized, triple hardened, and triple tempered. The sheaths are all built by Luke Swenson. All three sheaths are built to be ambidextrous (which, as a lefty, I really like), with adjustable height belt loops, and leg tie-down areas.

Short bush sword: I forgot to take measurements before packing away, but this is approximately a 14" blade. The raised clip is a false edge. Handle wrap is black paracord impregnated with epoxy, with two-strand Turk's head knots fore and aft.

Bush cleaver: About the same length, but a bit heavier. Also in black paracord with two-strand Turk's head knots.

Mini-parang: Posted this before without the leather. Blade is 10 1/4". Hemp cord with epoxy on this one, with three-strand Turk's head knots.

Thank y'all!

After taking these pictures and starting to hike back to the shop, I came across this narrow fellow in the grass.

I don't know what kind he is, but he's not a copperhead or rattlesnake, and wasn't near water, so I don't think he's venomous. He just wanted me to go away and stop following him around trying to get a good picture of him. :) He's at least three feet long, but not particularly big otherwise. He was well-camouflaged. If he hadn't tried to get away as I walked by, I would have never seen him.

Glad you didn't chop the snake out of fear or to demo a blade.

I'm looking at your sites to try and get some insight into your patina process. Looks like the finish is an organic artifact of forging. Instant ancient; pretty cool.

Swellcat - Yep, that's the forge finish. After forging as close to the final shape as possible and doing my triple normalization cycle, I soak the blade in vinegar overnight to eat the gray scale oxidation off, leaving the texture beneath undamaged. Then I do my stock removal and heat treatment, clean up the steel, do my handle, and sharpen. It's an interesting look, it is difficult to scratch it, and if it rusts it cleans up with 100 grit sandpaper and looks like it did when it was new. :)

You mean you didn't pick up the snake to look at it's "anal plate? " :) Excellent choppers! Gunnar says hi and wants to know how you like the knife from the KITH.

It didn't seem the perlite thing to do. Us Texans try to be gentermanly. Don't eyeball my anal plate and I won't eyeball your'n, and we'll be all peaceable-like. :D

Tell Gunnar I like his knife, and the other folks I've shown it to like it as well.

Hey James. I really enjoyed seeing that one chopper with the wrapped handle on Youtube. Cool stuff. Fun to see Luke again as well.

Hi, Tim. I'll tell Luke you said hi. He's busy these days making nifty pocket knives in addition to fixed blades.

Wow, yall have really taken neo tribal to a new level. I checked out the Wasteland Crow Project and am very impressed. The collaboration between you and Luke sure looks cool. Sorry I didn't connect with yall more when I was in Texas. My loss.

Back