Bruce Bump File Guide

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
I got my dainty little paws on a new Bruce Bump file guide Saturday and tried it out today. It works like a champ and I highly recommend it. Bruce's soon to be son in law is making them under Bruce's guidance and is only doing it part time, so it might take a little while to get one, but trust me, it's worth the wait.

Hi Tom,
Yep! I agree that a B.B. file guide it worth the wait! I have two of them and having two tightening points so you have even pressure and no twisting of the jig makes all the diff from these and others on the market.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Yep, we are getting a new addition to the family in February. Krista and Benton are getting married and Benton is here all the time anyway :) and shows good potential. Running the machines it takes to make the file guides is great experience and he is a fast learner. Krista is highly educated in record keeping so the two of them are selling the guides for an upgraded honeymoon. Kaye and I went to the river and stayed in a camping trailer for our honeymoon. The kids these days are far more advanced than we were.

We wanted to get some made in advance and put them on the market but if you dogs want to try one please email kristabump@hotmail.com
The first ones will still have my logo on them but Benton may break down and buy his own logo stencil sometime.

Bruce,
One little improvement to me on the Bump guides would be using a stainless steel. The belts ride on the carbide so the steel bars are really just structural.

I grind 95% of the steel in my knives after HT. So the guides get dunked alot and dunking the fileguide cascades a bit more water to cool the blade as I then wipe and return to grinding.
Every few weeks I have to soak them in WD-40 to get the oxidation out of the bolt threading because they have locked up.

Just my 2 cents to improve these great units a bit so makers can spend more time grinding and less on maintenance.

Also keep your logo on them, they are being produced in the shop of Bruce Bump with your oversight.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The trouble is finding the bar size I want in stainless. We use 1/2" x5/8" stock and I can only find it in W-1 steel.
I have never had to soak mine in oil but that's because I just dip the blade after each pass to cool the blade instead of dunking the blade and guide. The screws are stainless but yes W-1will rust.

The trouble is finding the bar size I want in stainless. We use 1/2" x5/8" stock and I can only find it in W-1 steel.
I have never had to soak mine in oil but that's because I just dip the blade after each pass to cool the blade instead of dunking the blade and guide. The screws are stainless but yes W-1will rust.

I am also by the Ocean here in Santa Monica and everything that is a carbon steel rusts fairly quickly.
I have antifreeze in the dunk bucket also to help with corrosion.

Some one out there has to have stainless in those dimensions.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Walla Walla doesn't have too much trouble with rust but Bills file guide was rusty from over dipping. I can't stand wet hands while grinding.

Check around for those sizes in ss but I bet I,ll need to raise the price. It could be an option though, people may be willing to pay more.

How about precision ground D2 ?
It's not stainless, but ti's close

Hi Bruce im really happy to see that your offering the guides again!!
I would love one, and am gonna send an email to krista!
Thanks!
Greg

I love my BB file guide, it's probably the best investment in knifemaking I've made so far and the only thing I have that was made by a master smith!

Gota agree. I love and use my BB file gide all the time. But I have similar issues with it rusting.. I try hard to keep it dry and oiled.

I think if done in a more costly steel they would sell! IMHO

Congrats to you and your family. and its great you got a new machine hand in the shop! ;)

I wonder if a coat of clear paint or a good coat of wax perhaps. I dont have the rust issue at all but remember I dont dip the guide, I just dip the blade. I cant stand having my hands wet when I grind.

Benton And I developed an all stainless file guide. They come in 2 sizes now, one will grind a 2" wide blade and the bigger one will grind a 3" wide blade such as a full size kitchen knife. We still make the W-2 file guide. Benton is behind but is putting in some late nights.

I wonder if a coat of clear paint or a good coat of wax perhaps. I dont have the rust issue at all but remember I dont dip the guide, I just dip the blade. I cant stand having my hands wet when I grind.

Bruce,
I don't dunk my hands ether. The file guides get wet from tilting it level for my wipe. As mentioned also the salt air & humidity sometimes here by the ocean is insane. Also I have 50/50 anti-freeze in my dunk bucket.
I have only two carbon steel knives in the retail part of my store/shop and even with wiping them down regularly they have still developed red specks of rust over the past year..

I can't wait to get my new STAINLESS STEEL Bruce Bump file guide!!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back