Brisket Knife

Gliden07

I had a repeat customer ask me about making him a brisket/slicing knife (with scalloped edge). I can't think of a way to make the Scallops with any real consistency. Has anyone made one of these or done a scalloped blade? Any ideas on how one would replicate blade with any consistency? I know I shouldn't be thinking of taking this on but it's a new challenge and I like trying different stuff!

coat the blade edge with marking fluid. set your calipers (or any repeatable marking device) to say ( as an example } 1/8 inch. Mark the scallop top on the blade. Mark off the 1/8 inch segments along the blade edge. These marks become the center of your scallops. start a small guide cut on the mark using a triangle file. then, using a small round file follow your blade marks up to the guide line. only scallop from one side.
I'd suggest a trial run ( or more!).

coat the blade edge with marking fluid. set your calipers (or any repeatable marking device) to say ( as an example } 1/8 inch. Mark the scallop top on the blade. Mark off the 1/8 inch segments along the blade edge. These marks become the center of your scallops. start a small guide cut on the mark using a triangle file. then, using a small round file follow your blade marks up to the guide line. only scallop from one side.
I'd suggest a trial run ( or more!).
Great info, I was asked to make a bread knife the other day and I kind of balked because I have no idea how to make a serrated blade. Now I have a starting place thanks to Files McLeish...

I'm pretty sure it was Geoff Feder on the knife talk podcast that explained doing them this way.

Draw the profile of your blade. Then mark out and drill a series of holes the size you want your scallops to be, centered on your edge line. Cut your blade out and then grind bevels and file the scallops.

In this example, the scallops would be 1/4".

I guess I described what I was looking for incorrectly. More like the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210325-175905_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210325-175905_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 18
I looked it up and now I've learned something new. Thanks fitzo , much obliged.
still seems like a reasonably easy build.

I think your description for the serrated knife would work but I think you would have to take a rubber wheel and shape it like a football to get the Oval scallops?

Back