Bright Orange Material

SC_Knives

Been on warpath lately to find a bright orange dyed wood or dymondwood. Anyone know if that color is made? Or a neon green, or anything bright?

Micarta or G10 would be the first choice, however, my lungs do not like the dust even with the aid of a respirator and dust collector.

Thanks - Cory

You can make up laminates with bright orange fabric that will be similar to Micarta. Wet sanding will help reduce dust. The Laminates I made up don't smell as much as Micarta/G10 usually.

Been on warpath lately to find a bright orange dyed wood or dymondwood. Anyone know if that color is made? Or a neon green, or anything bright?

Micarta or G10 would be the first choice, however, my lungs do not like the dust even with the aid of a respirator and dust collector.

Thanks - Cory

Hey Cory.
How are you doing? Had a good Summer?
I gave up working with Micarta years ago, headaches, Nausea and rashes.
It releases Formaldehyde when you grind it and depending on how sensitive you are? It can get you through your skin even with a full positive force air helmet on
. I stopped working with the G-10 a bit later.

Take care of your self so that you can do this for the long haul.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hi Laurence!

Summer went pretty well this year. Business has been doing great lately, and things are looking up! Sorry I haven't been on here much.. I proposed to my girlfriend in May and things have been busy ever since lol.

How are things out your way?

I'm trying to avoid all G10 and Micarta materials and to pass on the orders with those materials. I'm starting on a line of neck knives and safety knives for a local rodeo association, and they requested a neon green or bright orange material for the handles.

Cory,
Super Congrats!:s11798:

Glad to hear you found the one! Now the real work begins.:biggrin:

Taz has a great idea about the orange Fabric cloth Laminate.
You could even make some green and some orange. Ideally you want to find international Safety orange and I think it's a neon Green. Try these folks, http://www.masecraftsupply.com/ I get there Black & white MOP "Mother of Plastic" for some of my knives.

I tell people upfront the Materials I use and that if those choices don't meet there desires, I just can't help them.

I'm going in to my cutlery store this morning for a typical Saturday.
I have 60 blades back this week from HT and I've got to get busy grinding & building them. I now have eight different Culinary knives in my lineup. a couple of new ones that I will be posting soon.

Take care and stay in touch! Glad about the great news!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hey Cory,
I like the corian that is bright orange......"mandarin" is what they call it. Basically blaze orange. Great stuff.... Larry

Thanks Larry, I'll have to track some down! - I've never worked with Corian before... How well does it hold up and how difficult is it to work with?

Thanks Larry, I'll have to track some down! - I've never worked with Corian before... How well does it hold up and how difficult is it to work with?

Its the countertop stuff. Its pretty tough but more brittle than some of the other synthetics. Sands and buffs well. Heres an old pic I had.

1-1.jpg

Back