Bracing a coal forge table.

Daniel Macina

I have a pretty good length of metal plate that I want to eventually mount a proper coal firepot on. My question is this steel is only 1/4" thick (not ideal but trying to use what I have) so I'm going to have to brace the underside somehow. Would it be enough to get some pretty thick barstock and weld it underneath in such a way it forms a x (going diagonal from one leg to the other) or is there a better way to do it? I know the table top should be a little beefier but this was free so I was trying to use it.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
In my experience with coal forges, 1/4" will only work for a short while before it starts "sagging" from the heat. I did the very same thing once..... using a large piece of 1/4" for the "table", and cut a hole to insert the firepot..... after about a week of forging, the 1/4" started sagging badly all around the firepot....kind like a sinkhole. :) I first took it apart, then laid the table upside down and attempted to get it back to level with a sledge hammer......not so effective. I ended up getting a piece of 3/8" plate to replace the "table" top, and braced it underneath with 3/4" X 1 1/2" bar, with the narrow edges facing up/down. That worked well.

You could frame it with runners then some across the shortest distance...I'd prolly use 1/4 x 1.0....remember...weight does not equal strength...the beam height does. if you do this don't be stingy with the braces.

Daniel Macina

It's funny because I've looked at several commercial coal forges and the tables on some of those where less then 1/4. I was shocked. If I had tons of money I would make a 1" thick table. 1/2" would probably be plenty but I like to over build things. Lol.