Bowie? WIP- New Pics

Bowie, is a name that incumbuses a whole slew of different things. If you don't believe me then Google Bowie knife and, see what pops up!! I think the one big qualifier "is it a big knife"!

I don't have google at present so here is a Bing search! https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bowie+knife&FORM=HDRSC2

It’s what ever you call it. Looks like a Bowie to me. I haven’t looked up the Bowie styles but I bet there are some with full tangs.
Ditto on what OP says!!

Bowie, is a name that incumbuses a whole slew of different things. If you don't believe me then Google Bowie knife and, see what pops up!! I think the one big qualifier "is it a big knife"!

I don't have google at present so here is a Bing search! https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bowie+knife&FORM=HDRSC2

Ditto on what OP says!!
10-4 and this knife is not BIG. It’s way too big to be skinning deer, though. I’d think it might be like a fighter??? It will more than likely be used as a boning knife lol.

Yes they were but some times I see smaller blades referred to as fighters. When I think bowie knife I think more in the range of 8"-10" blade. But heck I don't know.

Kevin as I said the word Bowie has been applied to pretty much any kind of knife! In my opinion, (and you know what they say about opinions) the attributes for the word Bowie became blurred as soon as the term was coined!! The term Bowie came about because of the name behind it. The sandbar fight put the name Bowie into its first page of history. Then the stories about Jim Bowie and his brother, Rezin are where the idea comes from. I can't reference the text at the moment but, Rezin set out to make his name after Jim was killed at the Alamo!! He was jealous of the younger brother's name.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. A knife of any kind in the hands of a man/woman that knows how to handle it, can be lethal!! It is not like the movies show it. I was taught some while in the Army. Never had to use and never wanted too. Hand to hand combat is basically a fight for your life.!!
I can't really imagine swinging a knife with the heft and weight of a true Bowie. Its kind of like going three rounds boxing, with 20 Oz. gloves. Until you try it you do not realize how heavy 20ozs will get in 3, three minute rounds. Not only are you swinging but you better keep your gloves up and then throw in the footwork and wow. At the end of three rounds your arms are tired!!

A Bowie is whatever you call it!! Folks get too hung up on names but, and here is the but, when you put that knife up for sale. In today's world of the net. Searches latch on to whatever name is attached to that particular knife!! Some will be impressed if they follow the search back to any man's version of a Bowie.
If it is what they want, then good!. How ever there are traditionalist that look at where their search took them and they might go WTH!! That may not be a good thing, because then they associate your name to the results of their search.

Build each knife to the best of your ability! Don't get yourself hung up on names and call it what it feels like to you and let the chips fall where they may!! The only name that really turns me off is the Zombie, this and that! As soon as I see Zombie, I am gone. I like science fiction but...………!

Kevin as I said the word Bowie has been applied to pretty much any kind of knife! In my opinion, (and you know what they say about opinions) the attributes for the word Bowie became blurred as soon as the term was coined!! The term Bowie came about because of the name behind it. The sandbar fight put the name Bowie into its first page of history. Then the stories about Jim Bowie and his brother, Rezin are where the idea comes from. I can't reference the text at the moment but, Rezin set out to make his name after Jim was killed at the Alamo!! He was jealous of the younger brother's name.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. A knife of any kind in the hands of a man/woman that knows how to handle it, can be lethal!! It is not like the movies show it. I was taught some while in the Army. Never had to use and never wanted too. Hand to hand combat is basically a fight for your life.!!
I can't really imagine swinging a knife with the heft and weight of a true Bowie. Its kind of like going three rounds boxing, with 20 Oz. gloves. Until you try it you do not realize how heavy 20ozs will get in 3, three minute rounds. Not only are you swinging but you better keep your gloves up and then throw in the footwork and wow. At the end of three rounds your arms are tired!!

A Bowie is whatever you call it!! Folks get too hung up on names but, and here is the but, when you put that knife up for sale. In today's world of the net. Searches latch on to whatever name is attached to that particular knife!! Some will be impressed if they follow the search back to any man's version of a Bowie.
If it is what they want, then good!. How ever there are traditionalist that look at where their search took them and they might go WTH!! That may not be a good thing, because then they associate your name to the results of their search.

Build each knife to the best of your ability! Don't get yourself hung up on names and call it what it feels like to you and let the chips fall where they may!! The only name that really turns me off is the Zombie, this and that! As soon as I see Zombie, I am gone. I like science fiction but...………!
That’s a fact. I never thought about relating the makers name with the search results .... very good point. And ... im not really a zombie guy either lol can’t lie.
Looks great man! Looking forward to the finished product!
thank you very much!!!!

So when looking for a guard I found a very big problem.... the knife is .108 wide. The smallest guard slots I can find are too wide. Does this mean I have to make a guard? Please say no.

No, you can do it with out a guard! In fact with that profile I am not sure how you would do a guard unless you use a saddle approach!! Maybe I am missing something but I not sure how you are planning on the guard! A saddle guard to me looks a little unfinished because of how it looks when looking down on the spine! Think something like this with the slot coming all the way to the top! Picture is from USA Knifemakers!! I have seen a saddle guard the guard installed from underneath and the handle material was brought forward enough to hide the fact that the guard was open at the top!! Don't really like that approach either. 1533822546939.png

If you were doing a hidden tang then you could do a slide on style of guard. I personally like the idea of no guard!!

Last edited:
Angle grinder and files... lol how ironical @John Wilson ... I hope this will work. I’m fighting some wicked shadows in the pics... it’s actually a pretty good fit. However, I don’t have much experience lol so I don’t know what I’m talking about. It does however let me see a guard on the knife for design purposes. Thank you all for your help. CC I may end up doing a hidden tang if I can’t get the look that I want.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back