Bounce this off you if you dont mind....

Lagrange

Recently Terry (KT) and I were talking about knife sheathes and he made the comment that the sheath ought to compliment and not contrast the handle material on a knife.
I've been thinking about that quite a bit since that conversation and have come up with a question.

Can contrast be a compliment?

In my opinion the sheath is just as important as the knife in creating a complete package. My goal as a knife maker and a leather crafter is to create a combination where neither of the two gets lost.

Understand that I am relatively new to both disciplines and I dont hold the skill set that many of you do. This is why I turn to you with these questions.

On another note... how do you determine what style sheath you are going to make? I am speaking strictly outside of customer request of course. If you are making a knife and sheath lets say, for a knife show, where the knife is not sold. You want to present something to perspective customers that says "I am a quality package"...what do you consider when making the sheath?
How many different styles of sheath are there? Can knife sheath design cross traditional usage roles? Maybe that didnt make much sense.

Throw out your ideas and help a brother out.

Eric,
I will give you my 2 cents here.
I am not a leather worker but make a few knives and have designed the look/colors of many sheaths over the years.

I say Yes! Contrast can be complimentary! I wasn't there for this conversation and mean no offense to anyone, but my experience say's you can do what ever you like in the color & contrast department and as far as design goes? I want the most practical style of sheath for the given knife. Pouch, three piece or any combo that you can come up with that works and looks good.

This is one of those times where I say "Rules" are for people without a vivid imagination!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric my friend . When I say compliment each other anything goes to get this to happen. There is nothing better than to have a knife and sheath that just jumps out at you at a show. People will stop to look just becauce of it. You may not sell that one because it is priced higher than some of the others but it will give you a chanse to sell some of your other work. Some thing has to make them want to stop at your table when there are so many others to choose from . Keep up the GREAT work. KT

I knew what you meant Terry and I can assure you that I totally agree. I'm just curious when do you know that a contrast is right. And how do you know this before you make the sheath.

Eric look at it this way You do nice work. When you get ready to make one think about the finished product. If you picture it as a cool piece go for it. If your not sure you will like it keep thinking on what you would do to make it something better so you would like it. Thats what I do. KT

Eric,
The sheathes that Terry makes for me aren't like anything that people are use to seeing. When my knife goes into one and I put it on the table, at shows, I call it a "STOP" sign. So many people stop to comment on the display and not all can afford the expensive sets but alot of times it gets them looking at other knives that they would have not seen if not for the "STOP" sign. You don't have to have a table full of high end knives and for me it is best to have the lower end knives as well, they pay for the table and it is a great bonus when one of the more expensive knives sell.
When it comes to the sheath and knife complimenting each other, so long as you like it, it will sell.
Wade

Thanks for your comments guys. I think I know what you are saying. I just want to do the best possible job on everything I do. I keep searching for information and input in an effort to push my work and my goals. I do regard your opinions highly otherwise I wouldnt ask.
I am well aware of the talent that Terry has. His ability to mentally see the finished product and then make it a reality is what sets him apart from the average maker.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them.

Eric,
What color and material combination's have contrast & look complimentary to you and say?

Stop! Pick me up & hold me in your hand, Aren't I sexy and take me home today!

That's what I am after in all of my material and color combo's I pick for my knives.

Get a few Art books about using colors.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric,
What color and material combination's have contrast & look complimentary to you and say?

Stop! Pick me up & hold me in your hand, Aren't I sexy and take me home today!

That's what I am after in all of my material and color combo's I pick for my knives.

Get a few Art books about using colors.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sounds like a good idea.

Eric, I couldn't agree with you more about a sheath being just as important as the knife in a complete package. So many times I see some real nice knives being offered up with crappy sheaths. I just don't get it. It really turns me off. Then you have makers like Matt Baily who excel in both skill sets and turns out beautiful knives with awesome sheaths. People like Paul Long, KT, Chuck Burrows and others exist for makers who can't, or don't want to, make their own sheaths!

As for how to pick a "style", well, it's really up to you. I do keep a few things in mind though. Like the style of the knife. For example, a Sharpfinger or Bowie style really call for a blade type sheath. Sure, they could be housed in a pouch style sheath, but they just don't look right IMHO. A bush craft knife wouldn't look good in a blade type sheath either.

As for the contrast, dark handles like dark leather in my opinion. My favorite leather color/dye is Saddle Tan. One light coat goes great with light wood like spalted Maple and two heavy coats compliment darker woods like Snakewood and Walnut. At least that's how I see it.

Judging from the examples I've seen you make, you have nothing to worry about and you have the sheath style/contrast thing down pat!

You have got to look at this from a given perspective. I try and build each knife so that it will be used, so the sheath not only needs to look good with the knife but needs to be functional! I also build a lot of knives that represent the 1800's period. Here are a few pics of some early works and they are light years behind some of more talented makers on this forum. However I feel most are designed to compliment the knives the hold as well as being functional

Here is a sheath I made for a skinner one of the first knives I ever made! I was doing some experimenting on leather carving and now that I look back at I am not sure the carvings them selves really fit, with the sheath!
000_0790.jpg

It is actually the second sheath for this knife as I carried and used this knife, in the field when hunting, the original sheath was what they call a pliers pocket,:wub:I had picked up on the side of the road! What, it worked!

000_0784.jpg

The braided cord wraps the knife handle and then the bone that is at the end of it slides into a pocket to secure the knife into the sheath while being carried. I learned as a child it really sucks when you lose a knife while in the field, as you rarely go back and find them. So either designing some way to secure a knife on as sheath becomes an important to me as the sheath itself. Sometimes its as simple as a strap, sometimes its the shape of the sheath itself, sometimes it is nothing that is obvious but if you are actually going to use the knife and the knife will be carried in field then I feel it is an important consideration!

Here is one that was designed as a belt sheath. The sheath goes thru one belt loop and and the belt going over the sheath provides the tension on the knife.
IMG_0537.jpg

It was made to compliment my idea of a slightly fancier 1800"s style trade knife that had bone inserts in the handle.
IMG_0538.jpg

Here is one that was made to compliment a traditional style friction folder.
000_1102.jpg

It is leather covered by rawhide and designed to be worn over the shoulder/neck when used!
000_1105.jpg

Here is a knife that is neither 1800's nor was the design and sheath my normal design, but it does work!
IMG_0403-1-1-1.jpg

So yes I feel the knife and the sheath should compliment each other but that doesn't go with and one formula in my opinion! I think it all depends on the knife and what you have in mind with that knife. I have seen some elegant sheaths that would work with pretty much any time period.

Here is a pic of some sheaths by Paul Long, and they are elegant and functional in my mind. They would compliment any knife pretty much from any time period!
100_2267.jpg

If it is some kind of a replica then not only does it need to compliment the knife but it needs to look like something they may have came from that time period. A replica piece would not look right say in Kydex . And I must say I am not a real fan of Kydex but having said that I will say this. There are some knives that really look good in Kydex. There I said something nice about Kydex and it didn't leave too bad a taste in my mouth!:s7435:

So back to the question the way that you phrased Eric.

QUOTE:

Can contrast be a compliment?

In my opinion absolutely!

In my opinion the sheath is just as important as the knife in creating a complete package. My goal as a knife maker and a leather crafter is to create a combination where neither of the two gets lost.

Agreed, most of my knives at this time are not presold. When I have an idea for a knife that I want to build, I usually have a good idea of what the sheath for that knife will look like before I ever start the knife!

Understand that I am relatively new to both disciplines and I dont hold the skill set that many of you do. This is why I turn to you with these questions.

On another note... how do you determine what style sheath you are going to make? I am speaking strictly outside of customer request of course. If you are making a knife and sheath lets say, for a knife show, where the knife is not sold. You want to present something to perspective customers that says "I am a quality package"...what do you consider when making the sheath?

I think the style of the sheath has to fit the knife, and I don't think there is a given formula for that.It all depends on the knife. Let's say it is a fantasy/art piece. It is more than likely never going to be actually used. So therefore practicality of the sheath may not be a consideration. However it may give license to go to the extreme or overboard so that sheath is as outrageous as the knife itself!
However if I am building a knife that is suppose to represent the 1800's, Kydex would be a poor choice. That doesn't mean though I am limited to choices. Leather and different colors give lots of options as well as inserts of different materials, not to mention rawhide and the various items that may used to accessorize such a sheath!

How many different styles of sheath are there? Can knife sheath design cross traditional usage roles? Maybe that didnt make much sense.

It makes perfect sense and too that end I say yes. Like I mentioned I don't think Kydex would work too well with an 1800's style knife an 1800's style knife would look just as well in say one of those sheaths I pictured from Paul Long. The average sheath of the 1800's period was just plain old leather. However many folks found that they could really show off to the eye, (so to speak) with a sheath that was over the top.
Having a custom built or presented by a friend would have been the biggest compliment they could have gotten. And even though it might have not been the norm for the average fellar, it was done and there set president for a sheath that had fantastic inlays or a beaded sheath such as often made my the Native Americans!

Eric I think the combinations for sheaths are as varied as the materials and what the mind can create. Speaking for myself I think they must compliment each other (the knife and the sheath) but as far as materials, uses and such. That is pretty much dictated by the maker and the customer coming to terms on what they want!

In closing this, I have seen some knives that I thought wow, he is a talented knife maker, but he needs to step up his game on the sheaths!
The workmanship of the knife over powered the sheath. In other words it looked like a fantastic knife in a meteoric sheath! Not a sheath that wasn't functional, not a sheath that even had bad leather work done on it, (just a PLAIN JANE sheath, on a fantastic knife)!

I have also seen it the other way but not as often. A sheath that just knocked my socks off and a knife that looks like it was done by a first timer that obviously should have put it away in the drawer of shame! (We all got one of them, a drawer of shame, where we put the ones that didn't turn out well and we keep them to remind ourselves not to that again:mad:)!!

Some folks that are fantastic knife makers just never do good on sheaths, its just not there thing. That doesn't make them bad knife makers just someone who doesn't have the passion in them for making sheaths. These makers often either contract out all sheaths or they sale without a sheath. Like you said Eric, to me it is a complete package, you can't have one with out the other but, the options on sheaths can be as endless as the knives themselves!

Well you asked for a response and I hope this help to answer at least some of your questions and you didn't find MHO to long winded! And yes I do talk with my hands in person, and yes I do use visual aids then too!:sad:

Last edited:
Thanks Cliff. I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.
When I took art in high school (yes...I took art in high school...and home economics too) I was given a color wheel to use for referencing the complimentary colors and contrasting colors. That color wheel was invaluable when it came to shading and enhancing an image. With that in mind let me say this. My intention from the start of this foray into knife making was to make knives. The sheath was secondary. Obviously if there is no knife, there is no need for a sheath. With that in mind, the sheath is basically functional window dressing for the knife. A bad match between the knife and sheath can be a deal breaker in some instances, or a deal maker in others.
My quest here is to determine the proper visual match between the pair.
At this point I am thinking there are common sense considerations to make, but there are no clear definitive rules that apply which are all encompassing.
I don’t like to think of the combination as a hit or miss proposition due to the high cost of materials and time. But it appears that at the end of the day all you have to depend upon is your own capabilities and experience.
If we progress in this knife making endeavor and our creations are being bought, it means that we are either doing something right or we are dealing with a public that resembles the Obama administrations concept of rural America.
But this question that I have brought to all of you is the type of consideration that can make the difference between being the guy down the road that makes knives and being the guy who makes and ships knives all over the country.
Talk about long winded...

Last edited:
To all, content and contrast with respect to you all is very subjective in my experience I made a few sheaths before attempting any knife making..the ones that I made were for some weird blades that I personally didn't care for but treated as they were my own..a picture of one in particular that had both tooling and contrasting coloration with complimenting color stitching is attached...for me it was difficult to balance the blade shape and sheath shape along with tooling design and coloration with respect to the color of the handle and it's shape...so like I said wth much respect it is very subjective..the owner of this knife was very happy with the leather...
IMG_20121216_124810.jpg

Back