Bought some damascuss of of fleabay

A.W.Stovall

The steel is 1045/nickel Is that a good combination I dont usually see 1045
just wondering it looks awesome:D

I hate to tell you, but if it's 1045 and pure nickel....looks is about all it will be good for. Nickel is non-hardenable, and 1045, as quenched, is only going to yield a Rc hardness of around 55-56.

Even if the individual who produced the damascus did an outstanding job, with no damage done due to poor welding technique, it's still something that I would only use for bolsters, guards, or other "hardware". My guess would be that any knowledgeable bladesmith would only mix those two materials with the purpose of hardware in mind.

Well then I have some great looking guards in the making , I thought it was too cheap
but for what I paid for it I am still happy with it.

After looking at it it looks like it could be at least 40-50% nickel. I'm guessing nickel is the shiny metal I will take pics

What Ed said...Make gorgeous furniture out of it and find a reputable supplier for your blade steel. In the grand scheme of things, looking for a bargain on steel will always give you a headache one way or another.

-d

It could be worse, for sure. At least that bar will make cool hardware. And at least the seller told you what's in it, so you didn't make a knife or two and be disappointed in their performance.

I once had a guy at a gun show try to sell me a $400 damascus bowie he made out of steel pipe and a sheet of nickel :rolleyes:. There was a chunk missing from the edge about 3/8" long by 3/16" deep. "I could regrind that chip out, but then I'd have to jack the price up cuz I'd have more work in it," he explained. The bone scales were lifting off the full tang so bad you could see light through both sides. "Oh you can just hammer the rivets back down, that'll flatten right out." He actually seemed proud to tell me he had sold that same knife FOUR different times... ummm doesn't that mean it got returned four times?!? :D

Anyway, I politely declined to be his fifth sucker I mean customer.

Last edited:
Back