bought a used anvil square

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Bought this on Craigslist. I haven't weighed it but the seller says it is 90lbs and that seems about right. The stand adjusts up and down for the user with hammer holders. The story is it was cast from old WWII Howitzer shell casings. I don't know about that but the rebound is as good as my PeterWright so I'm good with it.

I'm looking for a couple more anvils around here so I can hold a hammer in. I think I'm going to see about duplicating this design. I like it.
anvil1.jpganvil2.jpg

Looks (?) like a 'Sea Robin'. If so, the steel and heat treating are excellent. Supposedly, the fellow picked up the long square bars on auction from a munitions plant, and even put out a detailed video of how he made them. He sold them for a while and just ran out of material a couple of years ago. It looks like a 90lb. 'half' block. There's also a 180 lber. that's twice the length. Bet it becomes a favorite.

edit to add: Thanks to Don Fogg and his forum for bringing up the awareness of this great tool.

Happy Easter, Craig

Last edited:
That is a Sea Robin, Boss. The anvil is made from billets which were used to make the penetrator for the round. If you decide you don't like it, I want first dibbs when you sell it. I have the smaller version of this anvil and really want the one you have there.

EDIT: Disregard, I just re-read and realized yours is the 90lb as well. I want the big one. If you want a heck of a good time, give Chuck a call sometime. He is a true pleasure to speak with.

Are both ends of your anvil hardened?

Last edited:
That is a sweet blade anvil, I used a "Robin" up in Va. at a Old Timey Day and went away with respect for post anvils. I thought of replicating that with a post vice attached to the base and the hammer arm for mobile demonstrations. .....Randy

It is a Sea Robin. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but like I said earlier, the rebound is good and it seems like a winner. I'd buy the 180 in a heartbeat if I I ever come across it. I will shoot some more pictures of the stand and ost them when I can.

Thats what I need here. I am in the search for an anvil and Have not been able to find anything but old crappy ones that seem high priced, selling as antiques.

I might have to resort to a 55lb harbor freight anvil.

Ernie, Tim Lively's design works good. 4" x 4" x 12"-16" of mild steel set upright in a bucket of concrete. I made one from a forklift tine set in concrete, it was 5" x 3" x 32" weighed 120lbs. I paid $18.00 for the fork at scrap yard. Here's a pic of Tims......

timanvil.jpg

I'm good for now with my Sea Robin, but I think it's a great idea to do a post anvil build project.

I think many folks will get a lot of mileage out of the info. There's a lot to be said about having the bulk of the mass of an anvil directly below the work surface. It'd be interesting to see where folks manage to find block material, and how well it works or doesn't work. Might also help to reinforce the importance of a good base, with the bonus that the whole project could be done for a bargain.

Take care, Craig

Sea Robin's are sweet. The original maker has retired from the business but if you find someone else who
can make them I'll bet you could find some buyers.

There is one junkyard left in my area that will let me walk around and "shop". I'm going to keep my eyes open now.

I was gonna check out our local scrap yard today on my way to the shop, but the weather has been "H-E-double hockey sticks" most of the day. I guess it is good I didn't go to the shop. We have storms all around us right now and a possible tornado with up to 120 mph winds heading toward my shop. Dang glad I upped my insurance coverage!

DUCK MURPH, they are moving across the country just like last week. Blew away a lot of eastern 'Carolina........Randy

That's the half block Sea Robin. I have the 180 pound version and love it. I had Chuck harden both ends for me. 180 lbs under a 5 inch footprint is like forging on a much heavier anvil. You just cant do any better for bladesmithing. Good find on your part. You can check over on Foggs forum and you can find lots of information on these anvils, also some pics of Chuck doing the heat treating.

Jerry Fisher

Last edited:
Thats what I need here. I am in the search for an anvil and Have not been able to find anything but old crappy ones that seem high priced, selling as antiques.

I might have to resort to a 55lb harbor freight anvil.

Ernie,
I had to "resort" to the HF anvil, a piece of trail rail would be 1000 times better! The HF anvil pure CRAP! First hit and it had dings, in it over a 1/4 inch deep! Would of been a waste of money if they wouldn't have taken it back! But they did, without question, I might add. :)
Rex

Back