Bobber project.

Nice project! I had a Honda Shadow 700 I heavily modified many years ago. Straight fishtail pipes, ape hangers, and hand shifter, painted dark blue with color changing blue flames all over it. They make some sweet little bikes. Now I’m kinda getting old, I ride a Harley now. Have to post some pics of that thing as you are finishing it.

Hardtail huh? Those are known as "barhoppers" cause that's about as far as you can ride on that hardtail:) Added a handshift? I guess a foot clutch when along with that? You're going to have fun building that bike. Do you plan to mold the frame any? If so, use epoxy and glass beads for filler on a sandblasted frame.

My first bike was a 165 Harley 2 stroke (made in Italy), At 15 Dad got me a "real" bike - a 1955 FLH panhead, ex-cop bike from Memphis, still had the black 'n white paint job with red lights. That bike had the handshift and "suicide" clutch. They were called suicide clutch because the design was to press clutch in, and it hold in place due to spring tension. The real world was with vibration from bike (yep, Harley's vibrated) the clutch would slowly release and away you'd go before being ready.

In the late '60s (68 or so?) I built my first "chopper" - extended forks, put a King 'n Queen style seat with tiny rear fender on that hardtail. Wife and I rode it first time, came home and designed a spring assembly under the seat so it would ride better than that hardtail frame.

During the '70s while in college we built several choppers with full molded raked 'n chopped frames, Been on bikes most of my life. Started riding Goldwings as an "old man" around '97. Sold my last 'wing couple years ago since It'd got hard to get my leg over that high seat, and didn't feel I could pick the bike up if it fell over.

Bikes have went the way of my sailboat (lived aboard about 25 yrs) - a past life.

Looking good Daniel. You got lots of fun work ahead. Do you plan any frame mods? Rake? springer or extended tubes? Any molding on the frame? If so, be sure to sandblast frame for a clean bonding surface.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on progress.

Looking good Daniel. You got lots of fun work ahead. Do you plan any frame mods? Rake? springer or extended tubes? Any molding on the frame? If so, be sure to sandblast frame for a clean bonding surface.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on progress.
Thanks. Hard tailing the frame, Springer front end, and a saddle seat, thinking of putting a Rekluse clutch in. Going to make the tank and fenders myself.

Did you mention something about a handshift for the bike? That Rekluse clutch would make a handshift much easier to handle. By all means keep photos coming on the progress. Been a LONG time since I customized a bike. Hardtail huh? hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Thanks. Hard tailing the frame, Springer front end, and a saddle seat, thinking of putting a Rekluse clutch in. Going to make the tank and fenders myself.
Maybe a bigger back tire, too?

Gotta have something to "give" when you hit a bump (other than you're back)

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Back