Bladesmith Alone at the forge.

Fred Rowe

Most everyone is welcome; some are just passing through, they have no great passion for what happens here. Some people come for the day, exchanging ideas, telling jokes, catching up on events.

I invite the local Boy Scouts, to come to the forge and see how a knife is made. I don't figure they learn a whole lot. It's taken me years! Can I explain that in an hour?

On days when I can not accomplish something on my own, I invite a fellow maker or friend to stop by and help out. Sometimes two hands and every jig in the shop will not get it done. I need another hand. Those are good days.

In the span of a year, I spend most of my time at the forge, alone.
Just me, the forge, my hammer and anvil. The place has a buzz to it, on those days. The forge comes to life! The fire getting hot, while I lay out my work. My mind, content in its surroundings. I am in my element. I'm a bladesmith.

I posted this in 06; in 2013, on my 69th birthday it seemed right to post it again, Fred

Enjoyed reading your thoughts Fred !

If I ever make it to your neck of the woods I'll schedule a visit :)

-Josh

I've never made any personally but have seen some random pattern made in person a few times.

I am interested in persuing it in the future but have decided to put it off until I get my Journeyman Smith Stamp. At this time I don't have a press and could not run a hammer where I live. I figure that I don't need to bog myself down learning damascus until my goal of Journeyman Smith testing is completed.

If I remember correctly you're in Ohio right ? I'm origianlly from Portage county and all my immediate family live there so I make it up north every couple years or so.

I'm hoping to one day hit the lottery (which I never buy a ticket, LOL) so I can travel the country visiting all my knifemaking friends :) I figure if I'm going to dream I might as well dream BIG. :)

-Josh

Most everyone is welcome; some are just passing through, they have no great passion for what happens here. Some people come for the day, exchanging ideas, telling jokes, catching up on events.

I invite the local Boy Scouts, to come to the forge and see how a knife is made. I don't figure they learn a whole lot. It's taken me years! Can I explain that in an hour?

On days when I can not accomplish something on my own, I invite a fellow maker or friend to stop by and help out. Sometimes two hands and every jig in the shop will not get it done. I need another hand. Those are good days.

In the span of a year, I spend most of my time at the forge, alone.
Just me, the forge, my hammer and anvil. The place has a buzz to it, on those days. The forge comes to life! The fire getting hot, while I lay out my work. My mind, content in its surroundings. I am in my element. I'm a bladesmith.

I posted this in 06; in 2013, on my 69th birthday it seemed right to post it again, Fred

Fred,
There is a solace in the solitude of working by myself in the shop. The feeling when time has stopped and you are in flow with your passion is a special feeling. The different energy when a fellow maker is present is also a heartening experience.

The journey continues.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I've never made any personally but have seen some random pattern made in person a few times.

I am interested in persuing it in the future but have decided to put it off until I get my Journeyman Smith Stamp. At this time I don't have a press and could not run a hammer where I live. I figure that I don't need to bog myself down learning damascus until my goal of Journeyman Smith testing is completed.

If I remember correctly you're in Ohio right ? I'm origianlly from Portage county and all my immediate family live there so I make it up north every couple years or so.

I'm hoping to one day hit the lottery (which I never buy a ticket, LOL) so I can travel the country visiting all my knifemaking friends :) I figure if I'm going to dream I might as well dream BIG. :)

-Josh
Josh, Yes in S/E Ohio. My shop sits on the highest elevation in the county.

I like your attitude; setting goals and making the effort is how it gets accomplished. Made me laugh with the lottery ticket comment; thats me. I'd rather buy tools or steel. Put me on your list of shops to visit during your travels.

Regards, Fred

Fred,
There is a solace in the solitude of working by myself in the shop. The feeling when time has stopped and you are in flow with your passion is a special feeling. The different energy when a fellow maker is present is also a heartening experience.

The journey continues.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well said Lawrence. Its nice to slow things down and enjoy those moments. Many never get the chance.

Fred

I agree that knife making can be a single endevor, but i like you hav had the local Boy Scouts over a few times, as well as friends and their children, when my Son and Daughter were younger those time we had at the shop are cherished memories.

I have had many a day where I needed to be alone with my forge, it has proved to be my thinking spot, my sounding board and as I say the best place for me to get the knots out of my rope. But I will have to say that every time I have had visitors to my shop to "teach" them somthing, it is I who have benifited the most!

God Bless
Mike

Your getting senile in your old age Fred! :) Just kidding ol buddy I enjoyed the read! Talk to you soon. -Burton

Fred, you old Geezer,

First of all, I am glad you had a 69th Birthday, and I hope you have many, many more.

I will (hopefully) turn 66 in July. I had no idea that you were so many, many years older than I. :)

I know what you mean about spending time alone in you "Man-Cave". It gives a body time to think, reflect on the past, and plan for the future. As much as I enjoy "MY TIME", it is always refreshing to have visitors come by to see if you are still "Kicking".

Occasionally, I think that I have not accomplished anything in my short life, then, out of nowhere, I will get a call from an aspiring knifemaker that wants to come by and pick up a few tips. After a (sometimes) 12-14 hour visit, that individual expresses so much appreciation that it sort of renews my spirits.

Hang in there my friend. You are an inspiration to us all.

Robert (Who is much, much younger than you)

Back