Bladecatcher feature on back of bowie.

nine9jack9

A few years ago at Blade I happened upon a D.E. Henry bowie. It is always interesting to see custom knives from that period stretching from the 50's and 60's. A parallel can be seen in custom 1911 pistols by Swenson, Clark, etc. for you gun guys. The design feature that fascinated me was a piece of brass that looked to be silver soldered into a dovetail cut on the back of the blade. I have read about this feature that was designed to catch another blades edge. My question is: would silver soldering the back have made it soft and if so, was this desireable? Another execution of this feature I have seen is a piece of folded over brass on the back of the blade, would this have needed to be silver soldered as well? Thanks in advance for any info.

Big bowie blade spine will be often draw temper with a torch anyway. There are different melt temperature solder alloys...not a concern.

As said, no harm with most common solders. A silver braze might be too much, but not the lower temp silver bearing solders.

Back