Blade shape help?

Mark Barone

I’m working on what might be described as a fighter knife. I’m not really sure. I feel my design is off a little. Does the blade look too wide or maybe the edge is off or something. Something just looks off to me. There will be a little straight swedge. I just added the second pic with the bevel drawn on. It looks a little better to me now. B221EFDE-1823-4809-91F4-D88FF131E5CF.jpegE9B45290-05B7-4F76-B100-4826C04FB122.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey man, I think the profile is good. The things I would change, and this is just one persons opinion...get rid of the upsweep in the back...I can see that digging into your wrist when using the knife...another thing...unless you have really big hands I think the tang portion is too tall. Other than that, I thknk it looks great and can't wait to see it!

Here is what I suggest:
edit.jpg

Hey man, I think the profile is good. The things I would change, and this is just one persons opinion...get rid of the upsweep in the back...I can see that digging into your wrist when using the knife...another thing...unless you have really big hands I think the tang portion is too tall. Other than that, I thknk it looks great and can't wait to see it!

Here is what I suggest:
View attachment 72186
i can see what you are saying. I did want the look of that type of handle but I will bring the point down a bit and give it a radius. Thanks

I think think the swedge is to short and the blade to deep for a fighter. I also agree with Jeremy that the tang looks short.
Can’t do much with the Swedge, I think I’m getting paranoid with blades. I tend to have to over shoot my bevels and always have to grind them down a bit. I have thrown away so many blades due to that. I’m afraid of making them to narrow.

Here's my opinion....and that's all it is...... Opinion.....maybe with the exception of the handle length. :)

View attachment 72205

You may not be able to get a full 5" handle, but by making that front radius larger/moving it forward, it will increase the overall handle length.

Good suggestion I’ll do that and adjust the back of the handle a bit to make more from for the hand. I’m just don’t want to lose too much of those flares.

This is just my opinion, but the whole entire knife lacks good flow and visual appeal to my eye. I agree with many of the other comments.

In general, that handle as is will be VERY restrictive to hold and not very comfortable. It will pretty much lock the hand into a hammer grip, which is almost never used in knife work by anyone.

Also, forgive me but I have to ask with total sincerity, if you struggle with blade grinds and have to throw so many away, as you stated, then why move on to a more complicated shape with compound grinds?

I would practice grinding simple 4" drop point hunters until I was confident I would never have to throw one away. Just can't wrap my mind around moving on to more complicated builds if the basics aren't nailed down.

Also, forgive me but I have to ask with total sincerity, if you struggle with blade grinds and have to throw so many away, as you stated, then why move on to a more complicated shape with compound grinds?

[/QUOTE]

Fair question. It basically comes down to the old saying “ Different Strokes...” Even with the throw always, I am immensely enjoying what I’m doing. I am aware it’s Bass Ackword. My goal isn’t to become a knifemaker. After my heart attack this past year and months of rehab, I’m just trying to enjoy my days. If I had a long enough piece of metal I would try a sword tomorrow.

Fair question. It basically comes down to the old saying “ Different Strokes...” Even with the throw always, I am immensely enjoying what I’m doing. I am aware it’s Bass Ackword. My goal isn’t to become a knifemaker. After my heart attack this past year and months of rehab, I’m just trying to enjoy my days. If I had a long enough piece of metal I would try a sword tomorrow.

Fair enough. I can respect that.

I'll address the handle portion of the knife. When I find handle patterns I like I'll make a metal template, then later I can use that or have a good starting point for a new design. If I make a new pattern I'll cut it out of plywood or a block of wood to see how it feels. You can use those patterns (templates) with your blade drawings before cutting them out.

I'll address the handle portion of the knife. When I find handle patterns I like I'll make a metal template, then later I can use that or have a good starting point for a new design. If I make a new pattern I'll cut it out of plywood or a block of wood to see how it feels. You can use those patterns (templates) with your blade drawings before cutting them out.
Thanks in hindsite, I wish I uploaded a picture of the design instead oh a piece of steel. I’ll fix it somehow.

Here's my opinion....and that's all it is...... Opinion.....maybe with the exception of the handle length. :)

View attachment 72205

You may not be able to get a full 5" handle, but by making that front radius larger/moving it forward, it will increase the overall handle length.

I worked on the radius . It did add another 1/4 inch to the handle. I appreciate that. It does fit in my hands, but I do have small hands. I also took into account the Jeremy’s comments on the grip. I took away a bit of the hard curves and points which also made it more comfortable. I think I’m going to move forward.

A620CC6D-7654-434D-857F-A797C68FEEA3.jpegED3A20C9-8EE2-4FE3-9597-2BB9C57C4EA7.jpeg

Here is what I suggest:
View attachment 72186
Jeremy take a look at the post above. I did make a smoother curve on the top like you suggested and softened the point. Not as much as you designed because I was going for “a look” . But that more gentle curve you suggested helped make a more comfortable handle. Thanks

Back