Blade sanding and finishing

Nick Riggi

I was looking at some production knives I have. These aren't expensive blades bur the finish on the satin flats was far beyond what my hand sanding is. They are super clean, even and not a stray scratch. I have spent an hour on a few of my homemade knives and gone up to 1500 grit but still cant them as good looking as these store bought knives.
What is the secret or what am I doing wrong??
I have read all the tips and tricks but am always open to some good advice.

Flog yourself to exhaustion with the polishing mop and varied wet/dry paper, I have had this prob since I started making knives, I have given up getting the high finish, it rips my guts out trying. lol

I admire those with the energy and ability to get perfection.

Thanks for the tips. I don't even want a super high shine. Just a semi high shine that is even throughout

Can we see pictures of your work? That may help us determine the issue. I've cut my hand sanding time drastically compared to what it use to be.

Just posted a few to the photo thread. But here are a few that I did a few months ago.
Been trying to be more detailed since these.
2018-11-07 18.13.41.jpg2018-10-28 16.03.08.jpg

These are some that I acid stonewashed (as, to not have to hand sand!!
The cleaver has an electro etch2019-01-02 15.03.33.jpg
Not an excuse but doing this on a HF 1x30 isn't optimal and takes a long time but it has taught me good technique that will hopefully get better as I get better equipment 2019-01-02 15.04.23.jpg2019-01-02 15.05.11.jpg

As Nick will say in his video, alternate diagonal directions, and don't switch grits until all the scratches are gone from the previous grit. If after your switch grits and direction you see a scratch from the previous grit, go back and do that grit again. Don't try to get it out with the finer paper. If I want a 600 satin finish I go 320,400,600,800,600

Back