Blade Length vs Cutting Edge Length

What matters most to you? The blade length as measured by AKTI methods or the overall cutting edge of the blade. This is just out of curiosity. In my current design (folder), I have a blade length of 3.32", but my cutting edge length is 4.03". Now I am not looking for what may or may not be legal in some states, that is blade length. Just want to know what you look for in a blade and what matters to you. Do you care about the ratio between blade length and handle? Have heard that above 70% is a solid ratio. Would you replace blade length with cutting edge length in that ratio. We are buying a knife, so am I crazy to think that cutting edge would matter the most??

Thanks!!

Last edited:
If I'm the buyer, as long as I know which "length" the maker is referring to, I honestly don't care. All that matters is if this knife will do the job I'm trying to do. For handles, I have large hands and I prefer a handle that is in the 5 inch range, again depending on how the knife is used. On a chef knife I use a pinch grip so it hardly matters. On a big chopper that I plan to hold like a hammer, it matters a lot.

As a general rule, in the U.S. most knife buyers refer to "blade length" and the distance from the plunge cuts to the tip/point of the blade, measured in a straight line, so when I advertise a knife, that is how the "blade length" is determined/applied.

In other countries/areas, the standard method of measurement is from the front of the guard, bolsters, or handle material, to the tip/point of the blade, again, measured in a straight line.

I've always assumed that's why when a particular organization/activity uses the term "blade length", they specify from what point, to what point that measurement includes.

Interesting Ed.. So what is the deal with the AKTI standard then? That's how I measured mine. From the forward most aspect of the handle to the tip of the blade in a straight line. If done from the plunge to the tip in a straight line I get 3.71", which is much better than 3.32" measured by the AKTI standard. I am also assuming that you are measuring from the beginning of the cutting edge if there is a choil in between the plunge line and the cutting edge. The reason why I am curious is bc my handle length is 5.25". So if you look at blade to handle ratio using the AKTI standard above, not very good at all. If using the standard that Ed just mentioned, it hits right above 70%. If you use cutting edge, the ratio is excellent. That's why I am curious as to what people really look at when evaluating a knife. Do they care about the blade length measurement (whichever way you take it) or cutting edge length.

I get the impression that you're assuming there is a "standardization", but there simply is not.

One of my knifemaking heros.... Wayne Goddard, once gave me some advice that I really didn't understand at the time, but as I've matured in knifemaking, it's become very important to me. What Wayne said was... "A custom knife must.....

1. Look Good
2. Feel Good
3. Work Good

Sounds simple right? But if you take some time to think about each of those aspects, it really entails the entire gambit of what a custom knife should be. If a knife meets all three of those criteria, then the standardization, ratios, etc. are already there. Don't get too wrapped up in the "math". There is nothing "standard" about a custom knife. Personally, if I had to build/make "standardized" knives, I very likely would be doing something else.

I'm not understanding how you have a longer cutting edge than blade length the way you measured it?

If you have a blade length of 3.32" measured from the most forward part of the handle to the tip of the blade, then how do you have a cutting edge of 4.03"? That's not making sense to me.

John, I have the same question you asked. I wondered if his "cutting edge" measurement was the length of the cutting edge measured around the belly of knife rather than just a length measurement?

From a purely aesthetic point of view, on folders I prefer the look of nearly 1:1 blade to handle ratio. A folder with a 5" handle and a 3" blade just looks odd to me. At knife shows, I see knives that just look "right" to me, and I'd say most of those are approaching that 1:1 ratio. On fixed blades, the function dictates the blade length to me, not aesthetics. Does your design have a really deep finger notch or a trailing beard like edge?

Last edited:
From a purely aesthetic point of view, on folders I prefer the look of nearly 1:1 blade to handle ratio. A folder with a 5" handle and a 3" blade just looks odd to me. At knife shows, I see knives that just look "right" to me, and I'd say most of those are approaching that 1:1 ratio. On fixed blades, the function dictates the blade length to me, not aesthetics.

well said.

After reading the various responses to the original post, I'm not sure I understand what the original poster was asking.

I get the impression that you're assuming there is a "standardization", but there simply is not.

One of my knifemaking heros.... Wayne Goddard, once gave me some advice that I really didn't understand at the time, but as I've matured in knifemaking, it's become very important to me. What Wayne said was... "A custom knife must.....

1. Look Good
2. Feel Good
3. Work Good

Sounds simple right? But if you take some time to think about each of those aspects, it really entails the entire gambit of what a custom knife should be. If a knife meets all three of those criteria, then the standardization, ratios, etc. are already there. Don't get too wrapped up in the "math". There is nothing "standard" about a custom knife. Personally, if I had to build/make "standardized" knives, I very likely would be doing something else.

I couldn't agree more with this! I don't want to get wrapped up in the "math", but was just curious as to what people looked for when evaluating a knife they may purchase.

I'm not understanding how you have a longer cutting edge than blade length the way you measured it?

If you have a blade length of 3.32" measured from the most forward part of the handle to the tip of the blade, then how do you have a cutting edge of 4.03"? That's not making sense to me.

I have a Tanto style blade. When I measured from the most forward part of my handle to the tip of the blade I got 3.32". When I measure along the cutting edge of the tanto, I get 4.03". That 4.03" is comprised of two measurements really. One from the choil to the low point of the tanto. Then from that low point up to the tip. Thats why it is longer than the blade length measurement. Hope that clears up the confusion!

From a purely aesthetic point of view, on folders I prefer the look of nearly 1:1 blade to handle ratio. A folder with a 5" handle and a 3" blade just looks odd to me. At knife shows, I see knives that just look "right" to me, and I'd say most of those are approaching that 1:1 ratio. On fixed blades, the function dictates the blade length to me, not aesthetics. Does your design have a really deep finger notch or a trailing beard like edge?

I would as well! Something I will strive to work towards. There is no deep finger notch and I am not sure what a trailing beard edge is... This design is very geometric, hence the use of a tanto blade. Straight hard lines.

Back