blade grind how to ?

Timy

I has been years since I handled a model 25 but they appear to be a full hollow from riccassio to tip that is done at an angle using a 10-12" wheel. You might call Randall knives? Perhaps they will tell you how the exactly make them?

It's definitely hollow, I was more getting at the technique of how the grind only goes partially up near the choil then higher at the tip if that makes sense?

It looks like they grind away all of the steel that isn't there anymore. I could be wrong though. :biggrin:

Mr Kelly is right on the mark, just get rid of everything that doesn't look like the 25.

Seriously....
Although my grind line has a sweep to it, the principal is the same.
Dykem your blank and draw a line from where you want the grind to start and end. You'll have an easier time if you grind all the way down to the tip at the same height as your start point at the ricasso. Once that's done, start at the ricasso lightly and progressively push and pull up on your blank checking the relation of grind to the line often. It may help to put a hash mark (sharpie) on the side towards you to let you know when to start pushing and pulling up after a couple passes. After a while you'll get the hang of it and do it all blind or by feel. It's harder to explain than to actually do. It's also something you must learn to do free hand, in case you think there's a jig out there for it.

Crappy pic, but you get the idea.

Rudy

Rudy thanks a million man. Not looking for a jig more of the process which you posted and I really appreciate it.

I tend to over think things a lot.

That grind you posted looks absolutely amazing!

Rudy thanks a million man. Not looking for a jig more of the process which you posted and I really appreciate it.

I tend to over think things a lot.

That grind you posted looks absolutely amazing!

There isn't anything wrong with thinking at all...

I would would approach it the same way I approach flat grinding a normal blade. The grind line would be parallel to the floor, so I would be holding the blade angled in my hands. Less grinding in the area near the choil and more towards the tip.

Now having said that. I haven't done any grinds like that, but that is how I would start out.

-Brian-

Back