Black Ash, Box Elder & Hickory Burl Wanted

Burl Source

Forum Owner & Moderator
I am on the west coast and have good sources for the woods out here.
But not much with the woods from back east.
What I am looking for are good sources of Black Ash, Box Elder and Hickory Burls.
Stuff that I can cut up for handle material and get stabilized.

If you know of any good sources I would be very grateful for contact info.

There is a place to the south of me that makes hickory tool handles (shovels, axes, etc), they use only the straight grained stuff, I'm not sure what they do with the burls and figured hickory but I'll see if I can get you their contact information... they are likely discarding the very wood we knifemakers would want.

I''ll hunt around and see what can be found.
How would transportation work?

I was hoping that if any of you guys came across anyone selling a larger volume of a cool wood than you could buy you might let me know.
Then I could contact the seller and work out a purchase if it is the quality I need.

Example: a while back one of the forum members saw a $500 chunk of rosewood burl for sale and told me about it.
I looked at the photos and decided I could make things work because of the estimated yield and quality of the burl.
So I bought it. As a thank you to the maker who told me about I sent him the very best block from the burl as a thank you.

This was a case of the maker liking the wood but couldn't justify spending the $500 to get some.

Back