Bit of a rant...

bladegrinder

I don't usually rant but I received an email that kind of upset me and I'd like to know how others may feel about this. I've been known to do fundraisers in my area, Safari Club-Ducks Unlimited..Happily donating a knife for the cause and making some sales. this year was my 21st year of donating to the Safari Club.
So I get an email from my home town ducks unlimited asking if I would attend, attached is the flyer. this is where it got ugly {in my opinion} in exclamation they pronounce that this year the venue "HAS OUR BACKS" yes, this year the venue will have "our backs" by having security at the show, there will also be security at the door with metal detectors, so please leave any firearms, concealed weapons and KNIVES at home or in your car. HUH?
This is where I believe someone should slide a big soap box under my steel toed boots and let me cut loose, but no... I regress, maybe Ducks Unlimited was already booked into this place and the venue just started this rule, but I wear a belt knife everyday and wear one to every show I do, I also carry a concealed handgun everywhere I go, I just can't bring myself to do this show, so I will bow out politely. I just can't believe this, their raffling guns off here. and the way they made it a point that they "had our backs" this year with security and metal detectors was over the top, the only one that "has my back" at a fundraiser is my wife, sitting next to me. I'd like to hear how others would respond to this, maybe it's just me,but I cannot do this show........end of rant.

Steve, I think you are right. And I hope many others stand on the same principle and let the hosts know that this sounds like a betrayal. Perhaps they'll get the point without having to learn the hard way- which is low turnout and vanishing support.

Agree wholeheartedly! I've carried a knife everyday of my life since I was in about 3rd grade. I feel naked without one! I went to a ZZ Top concert once and didn't realize until I got to the front of the line that it was "No Knives" event and they had metal detectors. I had a very nice pocket knife and stood there for a while trying to decide if it was worth forfeiting the tickets and walking away. I looked around and tossed my knife deep into the bushes at the front of the convention center. After the concert, I crawled up in the bushes in the dark and found my knife for the walk back to the car. Having been to the D.U. banquets, I can't believe they are saying this, pure stupidity.

I would respond and tell them you are not coming, not only because you can't bring a knife or gun, but because they treated you like a fool by saying they have your back. Just my .02

Not going without telling them why gives them no clue as to your feelings. By all means, tell them why.

I've run into similar situations..... and always have made it a point to notify them that I would not attend, and the reasons why. While I'm not proud that it happened, a similar situation caused the demise of a local chapter of the Wild Turkey Federation. It was being run by someone from out of state, and they insisted on the event being a "weapons free" zone.....meaning the same thing that you mentioned. As it turned out, it was a pretty big deal with the membership, and the only people who showed up to the annual "banquet" where the out of state organizer, and his staff...... a total of 12 people. Since that even was the chapter's main fund raiser for the year.....it went bust.

If you don't speak up, or take action, then the liberal agenda will just keep rolling.

I am with you Steve. What Ed and the others said is spot on. PLEASE, voice your opinion to those clowns. This country is in a bad place because all too often good men and women remain silent, when they should be shouting.

I responded, and didn't dance around as to why I would not attend. I added that that security plan with metal detectors were against everything I stand for, and how could I go to a function when someone that may be carrying one of my knives be turned away yet I'm expected to donate a knife to their auction.I also mentioned I was a firm supporter of the NRA and the Safari Club and I didn't think either one would ever do this to their patrons. I left it at that... Leaves me mad as heII, I can't help but wonder what kind of response they thought they were going to get when they sent out that flyer.

Imagine....going to a fundraiser with the idea of donating a knife for a good cause and having someone running a metal detector up and down my legs, and going thru the wife's purse, it's insane, these are usually dress up kind of events too, for a lot of people. then on top of that, I'm supposed to leave the safety of my wife and myself to a few strangers...ain't gonna happen.

Steve

I am a big supporter of DU. I truly believe it is one of the best organizations out there for hunting and the enviroment. Although, I do not understand why they chose to change their policy for your local event, I still believe that DU is one of the best organizations for hunters.

I am going to continue to support them, and I hope that you reconsider your position, some day. It is a good organization that made a unwise decision at the local level. Have you thought about contacting your state representative??? Bypass the locals and go higher in the command. Maybe next year, it will change back. Perhaps this year. Who knows. You are entitled to disagree with the local chapter's position on the metal detectors, no guns/knives policy. I agree with you - it seems silly to make this change locally. But, DU is still a very good environmental/hunting organization. I hope you forgive them eventually.

DeMo

Thinking about this thread brought to mind why I've stopped a lot of the donations I used to do. The Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation used to get a donation from me each year..... all I ever asked for was the name/address of the individual who received the knife/knives I donated (for my records in case there was ever an issue with the knife/knives). The very first year they did so, but the second year I had to "battle" with them to get the info, and then the 3rd year they flat refused, citing individual privacy as the reason. The 4th year they came to me asking for a donation, and I specified that it was under the express condition that I get the information I requested....to which they agreed, and then failed to provide, even after numerous contacts from me. Finally it came to a head when they sought another donation, and I flat told them NO, along with the reason why. Long story, but I had provided over $3K in income for the organization, and all I ever asked for in return was owner information for my records.....they refused, and now they get nothing from me.
My experiences with most of these organizations has been that they seemingly take little thought of how much blood, sweat, and tears I put forth for their benefit.....while only asking a very simple/easy thing in return...... Not only has the "sense of entitlement" affected many of the younger generation, it's also prevalent in many organizations.

Last edited:
DeMo, I'm not trying to trash Ducks Unlimited as a whole or as a single chapter, I have nothing against the organization. I spend a lot of time hunting every year and support anything that furthers the cause. but when someone contracts with a venue or decides upon themselves to place these types of rules on their patrons, who mostly are hunters who carry knives and use and or carry guns, it's a slap in the face to everyone that goes thru that door. I'll continue to support hunting organizations, but this chapter just lost any credibility with me.

Steve, I sympathise with your position but if we look at this in the larger context I think we can come to understand why a venue might choose to do this, especially in Florida given recent events in the state. Its a different world that we live in, and its certainly everyone's right to protest these kinds of decisions. Personally, I'm not for or against limiting our carry options in private venues. Its the venue owners, or event promoters choice, just as it is everyone's choice to react in kind. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that the amendments to the constitution only guarantee our rights with regards to the government and not to private property owners. I respect their right to make a decision in regards to open and concealed carry as much as I respect the rights of individuals to do the same.

I understand this isn't the same world it was 20-30 years ago, and I do go to some places where it's required or just better to leave my gun in my truck, like a movie theater or a courtroom, but this isn't really about concealed carry of guns. in my mind this is what this scenario boils down too...I have been a city utility employee for over 20 years of the same city this chapter is located, from day one I've carried a belt knife with a 4" blade and never heard a word at work except others wanting to see it, I've done a ton of charitable fundraisers in my town and the surrounding area, now I'm invited to one, asked to donate a knife and display,
BUT....please leave my personal one at home or in my car. at this point, I'm not even disappointed in them, if they want to bring people thru metal detectors and pat downs at the door, more power too them. there just won't be any Miller knives to bid on. and like Ed said, I'm sure I'm not the only one that that will skip that night for the same reason, their heading down a slippery slope. and also at this point....it is not about the Ducks Unlimited organization, it's about the few people who chose to abide by these liberal views, it's a Ducks Unlimited fundraiser for crying out loud, not a rap music concert.

Uhmmm... This kind of "security" is exactly WHY the tragedy in Florida occurred and was as horrific as it was. Criminal protection zones do nothing to increase security; they put everyone there at even greater risk. These people, venues, and events want it both ways: they want to limit your ability to protect yourself and your loved ones yet they also want to say that if anything happens they are in no way, shape, or form responsible or liable. Good on the OP for declining their request and for telling them exactly why.

Steve, I sympathise with your position but if we look at this in the larger context I think we can come to understand why a venue might choose to do this, especially in Florida given recent events in the state. Its a different world that we live in, and its certainly everyone's right to protest these kinds of decisions. Personally, I'm not for or against limiting our carry options in private venues. Its the venue owners, or event promoters choice, just as it is everyone's choice to react in kind. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that the amendments to the constitution only guarantee our rights with regards to the government and not to private property owners. I respect their right to make a decision in regards to open and concealed carry as much as I respect the rights of individuals to do the same.

I don't usually rant but I received an email that kind of upset me and I'd like to know how others may feel about this. I've been known to do fundraisers in my area, Safari Club-Ducks Unlimited..Happily donating a knife for the cause and making some sales. this year was my 21st year of donating to the Safari Club.
So I get an email from my home town ducks unlimited asking if I would attend, attached is the flyer. this is where it got ugly {in my opinion} in exclamation they pronounce that this year the venue "HAS OUR BACKS" yes, this year the venue will have "our backs" by having security at the show, there will also be security at the door with metal detectors, so please leave any firearms, concealed weapons and KNIVES at home or in your car. HUH?
This is where I believe someone should slide a big soap box under my steel toed boots and let me cut loose, but no... I regress, maybe Ducks Unlimited was already booked into this place and the venue just started this rule, but I wear a belt knife everyday and wear one to every show I do, I also carry a concealed handgun everywhere I go, I just can't bring myself to do this show, so I will bow out politely. I just can't believe this, their raffling guns off here. and the way they made it a point that they "had our backs" this year with security and metal detectors was over the top, the only one that "has my back" at a fundraiser is my wife, sitting next to me. I'd like to hear how others would respond to this, maybe it's just me,but I cannot do this show........end of rant.

so pout and dont do the show. this is 2016 and unfortunately enough crazies have killed folks and organizers of any event are paranoid. what does it matter that you have to leave your pocket knife in the car? i had to open my camera bag and go thru metal detectors so i could watch my grandson play basketball. that unfortunately is the new reality.

Uhmmm... This kind of "security" is exactly WHY the tragedy in Florida occurred and was as horrific as it was. Criminal protection zones do nothing to increase security; they put everyone there at even greater risk. These people, venues, and events want it both ways: they want to limit your ability to protect yourself and your loved ones yet they also want to say that if anything happens they are in no way, shape, or form responsible or liable. Good on the OP for declining their request and for telling them exactly why.

To take your stance to a logical conclusion, in a war zone everyone has a gun, yet I wouldn't exactly call them a safe place to be. Had the venue at the Florida nightclub had metal detectors at the entrances, much of that carnage may have been avoided. There was nothing that prevented a person from carrying a weapon into that club. Obviously, that scenario did not work. The perp in that incident was neither patted down or gone over with a metal detecting wand. Certainly something has to change.

Pouting? I don't understand the need for personally insulting the man.

Paranoid is the key word. The fact that everyone is capitulating to this stupidity is the real problem. Security theater, which is what this is, has saved absolutely nobody. How many billions have been spent on TSA at airports? The TSA to date has interdicted ZERO terrorists, but they could probably pay for themselves if they sold all of the confiscated fingernail clippers for scrap.

If you want to die, go to a gun free zone. That's where all of these crazies have been successful. A smart fish is wise enough to avoid the barrel.

So, is this the new reality? Yes and no. Yes, in the cases where the government can control your access to travel and you don't have a choice if you have to fly for business. But "no" in cases like this event where attendance to a show is purely a choice. If enough people would take a stand against this nanny-state idiocy promoters would stop it, or they will dry up and go away and other promoters with some sack will fill the void.

Depending on what city, your odds might be better in the war zone. In 2012, the numbers I could find, Chicago had twice the shooting deaths as the military did in Afganistan. :34:

As for the Florida nightclub... Metal detectors at the entrance or wands wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The shooting started outside with the bouncer at the door being the first one dropped.

To take your stance to a logical conclusion, in a war zone everyone has a gun, yet I wouldn't exactly call them a safe place to be. Had the venue at the Florida nightclub had metal detectors at the entrances, much of that carnage may have been avoided. There was nothing that prevented a person from carrying a weapon into that club. Obviously, that scenario did not work. The perp in that incident was neither patted down or gone over with a metal detecting wand. Certainly something has to change.

Last edited:
Back