Birds Eye Maple Puukko

opaul

So I'm really enjoying making these Puukko's. This one is much small - the blade is about 2-3/4”. Handle is birds eye maple with micarta spacers and a oak burl butt cap, peened through tang. This was also my first soldered bolster. Went better than I thought but I definitely learned a few
things.

Last edited:
I like a knife that just shouts "Use me!" and this one does. Looks to me like you didn't finish the scales out to a high shine, am I seeing that right? Makes total sense on a working knife with a bolster that's flush to the scales. Or am I reading this incorrectly?

I like a knife that just shouts "Use me!" and this one does. Looks to me like you didn't finish the scales out to a high shine, am I seeing that right? Makes total sense on a working knife with a bolster that's flush to the scales. Or am I reading this incorrectly?
Thank you and I definitely made this one to use. I had just finished this knife when I took the photo and it has one coat of tru-oil. I do plan on putting more coats on. Not sure what you mean about the bolster being flush. I think most Puukkos have bolsters this way. But I did leave the sides flatter (which is not traditional) and the handle tapers thinner to the butt. It’s a small knife and it fits the hand nicely.
Thanks for comments and interest!

You ain’t never lied. I’d bust it.. fact.
Yep. The only way I can do a decent peen is with a small ball peen hammer and lighter blows. I have seen guys on FIF try it and they always use a forging hammer. I always tell my son, "watch this, he is gonna crack it".

Back