Big thanks to Ernie Balch

kbog

Hello Folks,

New here and looking forward to learning more about knives and knife making. I thought I would start with a thank you to one of the forum members here, Ernie Balch.

After learning that Ernie was local to me, I called him out of the blue to talk knife making a bit. I am on the fence about whether or not to take up this hobby and I thought that getting more information from an experienced maker would help me figure things out a bit. Ernie was kind enough to invite me over after about a 15 minute phone conversation and show me some of the ropes. We ended up in his workshop, forging a blade out of an old railroad spike, and grinding it into a letter opener for my wife. Pretty great really, and I enjoyed the experience tremendously. I'll also add that Ernie has some very cool toys in that workshop! I learned a ton too, which was great.

Anyhow, Ernie told me about this community and I thought I would sign up and say hello. Beginning with a sincere thank you to Ernie seems like a good way to get going here....

Looking forward to learning more.

Keith

Welcome on board. Once you start you will never really stop. The toys collection will grow. Most maddened are very friendly, if they see you care, they will care. There are many who will share what they know.

Good to see you here Keith. Also good to hear that you enjoyed your time with Mr. Balch.

You know, Darrin, I mistakenly assumed that the other forum was where you resided and didn't even think about this one! So, while I'm at it, I think a big thank you is owed to you as well for all of your terrific correspondences as well as your encouragement and advice to help get me going. It is a little harder to meet you in person since you are, oh, just a few more miles away...but your emails have been super helpful.

Looking forward to being a more active member of the knife community.

Keith

Welcome Kieth, I hope your journey into knife making will be as fun as mine has been. I dont forge, but I have been known to pound steel when frustrated enough. There are a ton of helpful people here. You should have no problem getting any information you need. Be sure to take pictures and post them often.
We are family. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Looking forward to getting familiar with all of the skills and all of the people associated with the hobby/profession.

Keith

Back