Big "Howdy" from Oklahoma.

Chris623

I've been "lurking" on the site for the past 10 days or so. Been reading posts like a mad man. Think I've looked at every knife on the Custom Knife forum and the Pictures forum. o_O Learning all about forges, metals, tools, etc. Boy, is there a ton of info on this site.............and seems as if all the folks here are both extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help newbies. (have to admit that's my "title)

A little background on myself. I live in Central Oklahoma. I am a retired custom furniture builder. I teach Beginning Wood Carving at the local Vo-tech. My late Uncle was also a carver and one of the most revered carving knife makers in our area. People not only mourned his passing, but the fact he won't be making any new knives. Big disappointment for the entire carving community. I've had many students begging me to take up knife making to recreate his knives. There is one knife, specifically, that everyone wants as soon as they see or use it. It's a single purpose knife, but no other knife seems to do what this one does. So I've been pouring over the info on the site to learn what I can so I can start making them. Made my first trip to Jantz Knife Supply in Davis, OK the other day to pick up some O1 tool steel and have 5 knives in clamps now, waiting for handle shaping. I'll recreate as many of his knives as I can, but I'm really looking forward to making larger knives. I've got a design in mind for an EDC that I want to make for myself, but I'll have to make a bevel filing jig before I can get started. Would really love owning a 2x72 belt sander, but think I'll probably end up having to build my own. Eventually I want to forge blades, but for right now, I'm going to get my feet wet with the "removal" process to see how I do.

Enough about me. Just be advised I'm lurking on the site and going to be scrutinizing every single new post in an effort to learn all I can............as quickly as I can. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, Dennis. It would be nice if all these forums would have "State Lists" of members so people might connect in person more easily.

Welcome from NW Florida!! It sounds like you have some skills that will transfer well to knifemaking! Have you got any pics of your late uncles knives??

Welcome from NW Florida!! It sounds like you have some skills that will transfer well to knifemaking! Have you got any pics of your late uncles knives??

Actually, C Craft, I haven't. I've got several I use almost daily. Nothing to brag about in appearance........................but they cut............indeed, they cut. Something about a RWG (Bob Gentry) knife that sucks the wind out of you when you carve with it. They are the favorite of any carver's tool bag. His knives hold an edge almost beyond belief. I just wish I knew how he did it. Going to have to figure it out the hard way because there are no written records of how he managed it. When he died, my cousins asked me to sell all of his equipment and carving tools. They asked me if I'd like to take all his records, knife blanks, forge, etc. but I wasn't the least bit interested in making knives at the time. Stupid mistake on my part. Plain stupid. So I've an uphill battle in this journey. Obviously, I'm going to continue reading and learning all I can on this site. I will try and be mindful that most of you have probably answered every question I have a million times over and don't want to be bothered doing it again.

Actually, C Craft, I haven't. I've got several I use almost daily. Nothing to brag about in appearance........................but they cut............indeed, they cut. Something about a RWG (Bob Gentry) knife that sucks the wind out of you when you carve with it. They are the favorite of any carver's tool bag. His knives hold an edge almost beyond belief. I just wish I knew how he did it. Going to have to figure it out the hard way because there are no written records of how he managed it. When he died, my cousins asked me to sell all of his equipment and carving tools. They asked me if I'd like to take all his records, knife blanks, forge, etc. but I wasn't the least bit interested in making knives at the time. Stupid mistake on my part. Plain stupid. So I've an uphill battle in this journey. Obviously, I'm going to continue reading and learning all I can on this site. I will try and be mindful that most of you have probably answered every question I have a million times over and don't want to be bothered doing it again.

There are some really top notch makers here that are very cordial about answering basic questions. If you couldn't find the answer you are looking for with the search engine don't hesitate to ask. I've been on here since...what 2010 I think? but there have been long periods where I've done basically nothing with this craft and still consider myself a beginner in a lot of ways. So I still ask a lot of questions and most, if not all, of the makers here will be more than happy to help you.

Thanks, Anthony. I joined the Saltfork Craftsman organization and am paid up for a basic knife making class at the end of June. It's in a fellows shop about 10 miles South of my house. I haven't met anyone yet, but there seems to be a fair number of people in the area making/forging knives.

Yup, it's a Hoot that you are actually in OKC right now. I live in Norman.

I appreciate the link. I'll check into them.

Back