Big Blu forging hammers?

Kentucky

Anyone use a big blu hammer? I know Tracy sells them so I thought this may be a good place to ask..How do you like them and what baout that shock mounted handle? Any opinions and thoughts appreciated :biggrin:

I have the 3.6 #. I will be using it this weekend while demonstrating at the Bristol Forge in Bluff City, Tn. Come on down for the demonstration tonight and workshop tomorrow or plan to come by my shop sometime and you can use the 3.6 or the 185#.

Id love to come down but I dont know that I can..I think your actually fairly close to us..So you like the 3.6 pounder pretty good?

I like it a lot. I used it for all of my hand hammering this weekend at the demo and workshop. If you get one try to learn the Hofi style of hammering. The North Carolina Chapter Blacksmiths will meet at Big Blu the third Saturday in March in Morganton, NC. We get there about the middle of the afternoon on Friday, visit, drink beer and Big Blu will have a big pot of chilli or something. We camp out in the shop and then the meeting is all the next day.

I will be there with my tailgate sales (belt grinders, disk grinders, forge components, etc.) Come and have a good time and learn something.

I don't really know anything about the calked handle but suspect that it will keep the handle in tight. Maybe it helps asorb some of the shock but I don't know. That has never been a problem for me.

If you want to come here to visit just call or pm me when.

Doug merkel in suger grove,nc (outside boone,nc) has one he loves. I have used it and its nice. I like the newer ones thou, as they have a bigger throat.....im sort of torn between a big blue and a "kiss hammer"

Hey, Mr Tuckey!
The Hofi hammer method has really been working well for me. I like those ergo hammers a lot... a buddy has one. I suggest you get the video. Sam Salvati is making me a couple Hofi-esque whackers in the 2.75 and 3.75 pound range. Have a Merry Christmas

Back