Bevels before or after HT?

jkf96a

Title says most of it. Do you grind the bevels on a folder before or after heat treat? I'm using 3/32 CPM 154.

I worked tonight alot on my first slipjoint using Chris Crawford and Jim Moyer's tutorials. Got the blade and spring profiled and fitted to sit flush in all three positions. Going to be linerless with 1/8 black micarta. I've been carrying a sodbuster, and want to carry one of mine.

Good for you Jason.Grind after H/T.I will mark my centerline and grind my primary 45 deg on the edge then H/T and then finish grinding the blade.That keeps the hardened blade from stripping all the abrasive off your belt.
Stan

I agree with all the others about grinding after heat treat so I am not adding a lot here. With 3/32 ATS-34 (equivilant to your CPM 154) I was getting a warpage when I plate quenched.

I do grind my swedges and establish my nail nick prior to heat treat.

Chis and Jim bring a lot of knowledge regarding slipjoints. Don't forget about Don Robinson. He has a a new book that helped me a lot.

If you have any questions, I am available.

Johnny

I complete the bevels on every knife I make before heat treating, then use a 220 belt to clean them up after they have been tempered. After that, it's hand sanding to whatever finish I want.

I use two heavy STEEL plates to quench my blades and never have any warpage.

I always grind and polish my folder knife blades before H.T. to eliminate alot of hand sanding. I have used both an experinced knife maker and Peter's Heat treating and have not had any warping. Dan

Back