Best way to get a mirror finish on my steel? And where to get higher grit numbered sa

milesterry41

Before I start ordering steel I recently got into repurposing old kitchen knives just to get the feel of cutting, shaping, grinding and profiling steel. I would love to get ANY and all useful information about the tools I need and best materials to start with, all that kind of stuff...Here is my first one...Its modeled like a skinning knife. Thanks guys

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414517174695.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414517174695.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to the pack.
I am sure there are stickies here to read on steel selection. I suggest that you read as much as you can here at the different stickies at the top of each sub forum and narrow your questions down a little such as your budget, Power or hand tools what kind of steels you want to use etc?

Thanks Rhino. Im new on here too and trying to figure this out as well...Thanks for the tips though. Id like to get some power tools on a cheaper budget, and would like to get into high carbon steels and eventually get into the super steels like 3V...Im guessing I should start with 1095 to make some bushcraft& hunting style knives. I wasnt sure how 1095 is to work with, just starting out.

I would look for something like 1080, 1084, 80CrV2, or 5160 instead of the 1095. The 1095 has enough carbon in it that you will have to watch overheating it when hardening. Actually it is best heated in an electric furnace. Also some of it has a very low manganese level which can also cause problems with hardening.

Doug

I would look for something like 1080, 1084, 80CrV2, or 5160 instead of the 1095. The 1095 has enough carbon in it that you will have to watch overheating it when hardening. Actually it is best heated in an electric furnace. Also some of it has a very low manganese level which can also cause problems with hardening.

Doug
Thanks for the tip. My forge is an old truck wheel rotor, with metal pipe running down the bottom thats connects to a shop vac. I have a PVC ball joint on the pipe to control the air output....what the ideal temp for the steels mentioned above?

Definitely start with 1080 or 1084 as mention. Just my $0.02. Even 5160 from a leaf spring shop, and they will normally GIVE you the drops from the scrap bucket.

Back