Best investment for your belt grinder

AkWildman

I've had a OBM surface grinder attachment for about a month and I can say without a doubt it's a awesome tool. I have been taking my forged full tang knives and surface grinding the tang and the blades out to the point were the distal taper starts and also tapering a few fangs. Great addition to my shop !

I didn't know about these until I seen burr king's the other day. The cost I saw almost doubled the price of the grinder. I just looked up the one you have and that is a more realistic price (for me).

This all comes at a time when I was recently researching vintage surface grinding. I didn't get very far - just not much internet time - but I realized draw filing was the best I was going to get for now. My family read a biography on Alexander G. Bell and he was constantly working with machinists trying to perfect his invention, so I know there's a way to do it old school style until I get a good grinder. I could see this attatchment as a very valuable addition. What speed do you run when you use it? Glad you guys were ok in Anchorage we never felt it up here.

Luke

I've had a OBM surface grinder attachment for about a month and I can say without a doubt it's a awesome tool. I have been taking my forged full tang knives and surface grinding the tang and the blades out to the point were the distal taper starts and also tapering a few fangs. Great addition to my shop !

Is there a link you can post fo that?

I didn't know about these until I seen burr king's the other day. The cost I saw almost doubled the price of the grinder. I just looked up the one you have and that is a more realistic price (for me).

This all comes at a time when I was recently researching vintage surface grinding. I didn't get very far - just not much internet time - but I realized draw filing was the best I was going to get for now. My family read a biography on Alexander G. Bell and he was constantly working with machinists trying to perfect his invention, so I know there's a way to do it old school style until I get a good grinder. I could see this attatchment as a very valuable addition. What speed do you run when you use it? Glad you guys were ok in Anchorage we never felt it up here.

Luke
I've used draw files and a flat deck belt sander in the past and it's a long drawn out process on big blades.I run my grinder at top speed with the surface grinder.

I dont get why these cost so much? You can buy a used REAL surface grinder for less money. I just looked at the one Reeder just released 1500 bucks!!

I dont get why these cost so much? You can buy a used REAL surface grinder for less money. I just looked at the one Reeder just released 1500 bucks!!
I think the magnetic deck and the bearings and track themselves are a spendy item,you can make one yourself but in all honesty I would not have been able to make one that much cheaper than what I paid for this one especially when you add up the cost of shipping all the various parts and pieces.

I looked at OBM website and the description on the surface grinder says
  • (also works on select other of the heavier duty grinders that accept 1.5″ square aluminum tooling arms, it will not work with machines that use cheap steel tube tooling arms).
My question is: As long as the receiving arm is 1.5" square and rigid what difference does it make what they are made of? Steel or Aluminum? What am I missing? I'd like to have one but I'm using a "No Weld Grinder" that I built myself with steel.

Back