Best handle and blade material to work by hand? (no grinder)

Kikai

I'm gathering materials and tools, and for the time being I will be working solely with a drill, hacksaw, set of files, and sandpaper. (budget issues) My question is working with this set of tools what materials should I be looking at?

I'd prefer to use a stainless steel and send out for heat treat. (small apartment complex so fires are out of the question) Should I look at 440C , 154-CM, anything else, or go to 1095 and the like?

I'm curious about kirinite http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Knife-Handle-Material.html so if anyone has experience with it and knows if it's easy to work by hand let me know.

I know wood is a good go to handle material I'd just like to know what other options I can work with given my set of tools. Micarta, G-10, etc.

I'm aware my first knife is going to suck but I want it to be the best kind of suck I can muster.

Thanks in advance.

Just starting out no tools advice (no charge so take it for what it is worth):
440C is a good stainless knife steel and cheap.
Use wood for handle material. Buy some fancy burl wood if you want otherwise look around locally for some crotch wood, burl wood, fancy wood that is really cheap. Expect the handle material to cost almost or sometimes more than the knife steel. Kirinite is great stuff but for what you described as tools, you will want wood.
Use any kind wire you can find to pin the handles. Coat hanger wire even works.

Checkout furniture or wood cabinet makers for their scrap cutoff wood. I just picked up a whole box from Cormark while in NC. If you have a Woodcraft store in your area go there you can get cutoffs from them also. Just buy 2 or 3 pieces at a time to keep cost down. I have used broken carbon fiber arrow shafts and #12 copper wire as pins also.

Certain materials in knife making just smell BAD! Some materials have BAD things in them or come off of them as you work with it. When you sand on these parts certain odors and/or air born debris may offend your neighbors/family/wife. If you live in an apartment complex you need to be aware of this problem. Some epoxies (smell), bone/antler (smell/air born debris), G-10 (smell/air born debris) and others. I have never used it before but I would think krinite may have an odor and possible air born debris.

Your best bet if you choose to continue would be a wood handle. As suggested you can find all kinds of places to find handle material cheaply. It might not be top of the line stuff . . . but for a first knife it will not cost hundreds of dollars either. Cabinet shops/woodworkers are a great place to start for wood scraps. If you think about it, the piece does not have to be all that large to work for a handle. Some places will give you their small cut-offs. Another good place to look for materials is your neighborhood recycle place. You can get all kinds of pin material (free or very cheap). Aluminum, brass, copper, you name it. Just stop and ask/tell them what you are looking for and I bet they will eventually get it as a recycled item.

As far as steel goes . . . 1080, 1084 and 1095 are all good starter stuff. Relatively cheap and easy to find compared to some of the other choices out there. Also easy to heat treat. I've never used 440 - so I cannot help you in that regard.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

As mentioned by Bossdog 440c is a great steel, not expensive and many places can HT it for you.
i was in your situation when I started and bought used files at garage sales to start with. I even cut up old furniture I would find by the trash cans for handle woods. I would recommend you get Loveless or Corby bolts for your handles if you have a small drill press and get a proper step drill bit for the kind of fasteners you purchase. The slow cure epoxies usally work better than the five minute kinds. Kirinite has almost no smell when you work it and is NSF rated. Save up for some, its a great synthetic handle material. G-10 and and Micarta are nasty stuff to work and toxic and you should always wear some kind of respirator when making anykind of dust knife making.

Have Fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Another thing with G-10 don't try to cut it with a wood bandsaw. I tried with a 2 day old Timberwolf resaw special blade it lasted about 10 seconds sparks were coming off it at 4 seconds. It will be part of my first damascus blade when I break it into sections and layer it with some bar stock. Use a metal bandsaw or a belt sander and definitely use a respirator. I've not messed with it yet but Corian handles Same as the Corian counter tops is supposed to be hazardous use a respirator with organic filters I believe. Many woods are none too good for you so use dust filters when cutting and sanding most anything. Don't be afraid to fail. These forums and some groups on facebook are terrific places to get superb information and guidance/help. I just forged my 3rd and 4th blade today so I'm a noob aswell but I have a fair amount of experience in metal fab and grinding/sharpening so I just go for it to see what happens. Never be afraid to ask. Also see if you can find an experienced/ or full-time maker that is willing to at the least let you watch him/her work or show you the ropes and guide you along. Many are more than happy to show new people the craft. Also many makers stabilize their own wood and can add "yours" to a batch so if you find somebody local check into that option too. Almost forgot tree trimming companies are good sources for local woods too. If you tell them you are a hobby knife maker many will give you some decent wood to work with. If you can't locate somebody that can stabilize for you look for hard dense woods or naturally oily woods. These will hold up pretty well without stabilization. Just my 2 cents. Have a blast and make some knives.

Last edited:
Back