Bench top surface grinder

Gliden07

Just got a surface grinder from my Dad, he bought it at an auction years ago. Needs a little work someone tried to grind the table and really messed it up. I was going to take it to someone and have them mill it flat? Also want to get a small magnetic chuck for it.20210907_114602.jpg20210907_114557.jpg

Nice! I would find the right recommended wheel for that and grind the table myself. You want it perfectly flat and Trammed/square to the wheel itself, milling it could work though to get it close then you wouldn't have go grind as much.

REX is correct, the final finish on the table has to be done mounted on the grinder. How deep is that bad spot? From photo it looks like it could be pretty deep. If so, and "IF" the table isn't too hard milling might be a good idea to get smooth, then do a finish grind with a coarse wheel once it's mounted again.

When I saw the thread title I wondered if you had gotten one of those TINY Sanford surface grinders that were the salesmen's models. This is way cooler. Congrats. Thanks, Dad!

I would suggest getting the largest (ie, longest) permanent magnet fine pole chuck as you can fit on that machine. I have a 12" chuck on mine and have wished it longer on numerous occasions. (Old story. :))
When done properly, one mounts the magnet, adjusts flat as best as possible with shimstock, then take light passes on the magnet with a trued stone to get to the best the machine can do. My point is that the flatness of the main table may be less crucial than you think.

Best of luck with this. I love it.

Nice! I would find the right recommended wheel for that and grind the table myself. You want it perfectly flat and Trammed/square to the wheel itself, milling it could work though to get it close then you wouldn't have go grind as much.

Yeah thats what im thinking there is at least a 1/8" to take off to make it around flat again! As far as I can tell it is their Table Top surface grinder. It needs a chuck to give the table some weight. If you move table without and hit the stop it kicks it off of the table drive gear on the bottom of the table.

Last edited:
You don't grind the "table" (saddle) on a surface grinder...you don't have enough travel. You only grind the mag chuck. You most likely will have to remove the knackered saddle (yes...that's what they did there...) and get it milled at a machine shop. If you just mount a chuck to it now...you are likely to force a bow in the casting. Fortunately the clean up should be minimal. Make sure they indicate on the un-ground portion to locate for the fix.

Do not buy a bigger chuck than the travel of a given machine. Otherwise you end up with a hog-wallow from dressing it and the unreachable portion standing proud...which is duplicating the mistake on that saddle. A 6-12 takes a 6" wide by 12" long chuck, etc. You could go with a smaller chuck if it's all you can find...but never bigger.

btw...very stout little grinder...worth fixing.

Last edited:
Sorry if I made it sound like trying to slap a bigger magnet on than the machine is meant for. I meant it to mean "not less than the maximum" if one can afford it.

You don't grind the "table" (saddle) on a surface grinder...you don't have enough travel. You only grind the mag chuck. You most likely will have to remove the knackered saddle (yes...that's what they did there...) and get it milled at a machine shop. If you just mount a chuck to it now...you are likely to force a bow in the casting. Fortunately the clean up should be minimal. Make sure they indicate on the un-ground portion to locate for the fix.

Do not buy a bigger chuck than the travel of a given machine. Otherwise you end up with a hog-wallow from dressing it and the unreachable portion standing proud...which is duplicating the mistake on that saddle. A 6-12 takes a 6" wide by 12" long chuck, etc. You could go with a smaller chuck if it's all you can find...but never bigger.

btw...very stout little grinder...worth fixing.
Ahh good points, my table is the same size as my chuck on my Harig 618 so I was unfamiliar

I am bringing the "Saddle" (thanks Ted)
to a friend that has a Bridgeport. I have a Grizzly G0704 but it's not big enough to resurface it. I plan on getting a small mag chuck and surfacing it like it should have been. I didn't Grind the saddle someone else did.

I am bringing the "Saddle" (thanks Ted)
to a friend that has a Bridgeport. I have a Grizzly G0704 but it's not big enough to resurface it. I plan on getting a small mag chuck and surfacing it like it should have been. I didn't Grind the saddle someone else did.
I know you didn't...or I would not have talked so tough...lol!

I picked up one of those years ago and while it’s a nice machine the motor and size wheels it requires limits it use. I was using it for folder blades and back bars but anything more and you’ll be spending a lot of time in front of it, I waited years to find a full size floor model and don’t really use it anymore but none the less it’s a cool machine from days past and there kind of rare to find, congrats on your new grinder I hope you get it up and running good. The magnetic chuck that came with mine was the original electric that plugged into the right side of the machine

I picked up one of those years ago and while it’s a nice machine the motor and size wheels it requires limits it use. I was using it for folder blades and back bars but anything more and you’ll be spending a lot of time in front of it, I waited years to find a full size floor model and don’t really use it anymore but none the less it’s a cool machine from days past and there kind of rare to find, congrats on your new grinder I hope you get it up and running good. The magnetic chuck that came with mine was the original electric that plugged into the right side of the machine
I wish mine had the original mag chuck, I'm sure that's why the Saddle is screwed up like it is. Who ever owned it prior to my Dad either didn't have the chuck or it wasn't working so they surfaced the saddle and messed it up! I dropped saddle of to friends shop today hopefully he will be able to fix it then I will find a chuck to work on it! Like everything 1 step forward and 2 back!! LOL!!

Back