Bench Grinder tool rest for tool/drill bit sharpening.

Abbott

I have a small enjoyable to make tool rest that I thought I would share with you guys. It is an often used addition to my shop.

I used a small Chicom Mill so the main block was easy to make but it would be easy enough to make with a vice and a circular saw with a carborundum blade, anyone with the skill or desire to make a knife most likely has the ability to make the simple cuts for this piece with a 4" grinder as well. A small Tablesaw with a carborundum blade would make the part just as easily as a Mill does. The rest of it just requires a little bit of drilling and welding and you will end up with a Tool that you will use over and over again. This simple Tool Rest makes sharpening tools and drill bits a quick, enjoyable and easy chore.

The Tool Rest tilts to whatever angle you need for your tool and can be tightened in place. A small allen-screw lets you set the desired angle to the grinding stone. Keep a small can of water near by to keep things cool and your tools and drill bits are now only a few seconds of simple work from being sharpened and ready for the next task.

Here is the completed Tool Rest and some photos of the parts that need to be made to assemble it.

gr_rest_4.JPG

Attachments

• gr_rest_2.JPG
    gr_rest_2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 12
  • gr_rest_3.JPG
    gr_rest_3.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 12
  • gr_rest_5.JPG
    gr_rest_5.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
  • gr_rest_6.JPG
    gr_rest_6.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here is the photo that I came across on the Web that made me want to make my Tool Sharpening Rest. As you can see this one is assembled differently. I skipped the drilling and counter sinking of the parts that made the table of the tool rest and made mine out of a small block of aluminum that I already had in my shop. The one in this photo looks like it works just fine to me.

Attachments

• Tool_sharp_rest.jpg
    Tool_sharp_rest.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 8
Back