belt grinder?

Hey Rey , Im kinda new to this stuff . I started out a few years ago with a Grizzley . I made myself learn how to get around its problems ( tracking ect ) A friend of mine has a Burr King and a KMG . I tried the KMG one time and it was like day and night. Everything just worked so smooth and straight. I worked soo much easier than the way Ive been working . Needless to say , Im in the process of buying one of these grinders..

Anyway , good luck in whatever way you decide to go .

MIke

Well i have got my pheer grinder. I have used it some and i really like it! Way better than my HF 1X30! I was gettin a little discouraged working on that thing because I dont have a whole lot of time to work on my knives during the day and it was taking me forever to do anything...Now in like 2 lunch breaks i have profiled and ground in the bevels on 2 knives! I know that might not be much to some but it is a great feeling to me! and my grinds are SO much better. There are a few things i would change and eventually will like a bigger tool rest. And i hope not too far down the road i can get a contact wheel set up. Thought I would give yall an update.

Thanks for the update - there's some conjecture about how the bearings will hold up over time - so if you think of it - give us another update in 6 months or a year... it's great to have another grinder under $1k on the market!

Hi, I'm Piggy is my 1st post. I signed on to get pics and more info for building a grinder. Every time I think I have it all planned out I get more input. I do not have the knowledge to take a side in this debate it does present some issues so, my questions are a need to know (learn) not a slam at anyone. 1st the spring tension someone said this can be hard to keep the tracking right. What is the other options? I see springs in the back or the tracking arm and springs in the middle under the tracking wheel. The skateboard wheels. polyurethane is polyurethane it is the duro is important. Maybe some co. do use a better formula?? But skate wheels always state the duro. it is hard to find a 2" wide or face but they do make them. The 2" dia. seem like they would be good for platens or a 2" and 3". These wheels travel on black top at speeds that exceed 50-60 mph it's nuts how fast they go. Some are hollowed out to keep cooler this space can allow larger bearings. They seem like they would be great for a grinder. What would be the neg. about using them? I too was looking @ Pheer grinders I was concerned w/ the light weight metal would there be more vibration? His speed control equip looks like what others use. he says he uses some used motors that would concern me but he has so many options that it might not be fare to slam him straight across the board. his quality goes up about 1/2 down the page, also go to products what he calls heavy duty looks like Wilmont http://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/grinders.html I still want to build mine so help w/ spring tension ? please and duro. On USAKnives or Beamount (bd sp) they use duro of 60-70 burr king uses 50 what is best and when should I use metal? Sorry not high jacking ur thread just getting details to things brought up in ur thread . Enjoy your new grinder. Did u see the one he painted yellow? cool

I would like to thank all of you for this thread. Being A nube to knife making this gave my great insight as far as things to consider when I buy my first grinder.

Back