Belt breaks - slaps face

lescobar

As a new member here and hobbyist maker, I have been pouring through the content of the forums. I read the "grinder table and set up" thread a little too late.

I have a GIB on a 36"-high table and grind standing in front of it. While running a 50-grit A/O belt yesterday, the joint failed and I got the entire experience of being slapped in the face while running at full speed. Thankfully the surprise of it is all I got.

Along with safety glasses and respirator -- I will now be turning my hat to face the bill forward from now on! I wore it backward to make it easier to wipe the sweat off my face. Just don't want to use a 50-grit belt to do it!

I am grateful for the wisdom posted in these pages...

-- Lee
Round Rock, TX

Lol I think everyone who uses a belt grinder remembers the first time it happens glad your allright.

That makes for a very exciting moment doesn't it?
:happy:

Very Sobering! isn't it?

I just sat there for a few seconds after the first time it happened to be. I knew what had just happened? I was in a mild shock for a few seconds. It knocked my ball cap off.
Which is better than my nose or losing a eye etc...

Glad you were O.K. too!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I turned red and punched my grinder after the first time...but i then again, i never did like getting hit in the face.

This is why I picked up a full face shield from local hardware store.. much more comfortable and protective than glasses.

I've got a scar across my left forearm where a 60 grit broke and cut me 2 inches wide and 10 stitches deep. At the same time the idler wheel shattered and part of it stuck in the wall behind me. After tht I get a variable spped motor for my Burr King and now I don't run it wide open. That was 15 years ago and the scar is still very visible on my arm.
A shield is about the only thing that could save your face in this instance.
Be careful out there unless, you want to be known as a full time knife maker then you have to be on a first name basis with the EMT
Percy

Been there. Hurts. I've had several break but only one hit me in the face. I have noticed that they might in some instances give a little warning - start to thump or make some other unusual noise. Maybe not all the time, though. Listen to your machine as you work.

Raymond Coon
http://www.damascusknife.com

Been there. Hurts. I've had several break but only one hit me in the face. I have noticed that they might in some instances give a little warning - start to thump or make some other unusual noise. Maybe not all the time, though. Listen to your machine as you work.

Raymond Coon
http://www.damascusknife.com

This is excellent advice Ray. Listen to the grinder; if there is any change in pitch or any sound change; hit the off button and take a look at the belt.

I wear a full face PAPR respirator (Trend Airshield Pro) after a piece of steel dust made it around my safety glasses into my eye, it stopped a broken belt from getting to my face at one point

-Page

Back