beginner tool acquisition inquiry

check out www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com. You can get the DVD and build your own belt grinder with variable speed control with a VFD for about that. You can get the Interchangable Disk system, motor and VFD for about that. I dont recommend a bench grinder. It is dangerous and these other tools replace it.

Then see about getting materials and building a gas forge.

I can second the belt grinder as a primary item to acquire. The higher quality the better. That and a small drill press will get you a long way.

I got my starter 2x72 grinder from Jose at PHEER Grinders; http://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/

He has several different models and prices to fit all budgets. His customer service is great. For a first grinder at a value price that works you should be happy with it, he has attacthments to do what you need to also.

2x72Ginder-V01med.jpg2x72Ginder-H01sm.jpg

I forge my blades so I don't strictly do stock removal, but remember all bladesmiths do stock removal, but I've seen a couple of power tools that are of limited use and those would be the disc sander and the bench grinder. I know that the late Bill Moran used a bench grinder for some of his initial grinding before going to the belt grinder but he seems to be more the exception than the rule. I don't think that many find a disc sander helpful but some do use one. I would concentrate other tools first, especially the belt grinder.

Doug

My thoughts sorta mimic Dougs here.

The belt grinder will be the FOUNDATION of your entire knifemaking endeavor. It'll get used for EVERYTHING ! Especially when your a beginner and lack some of the more specialized tools.

There are generally two trains of though for how a newbie should approach tool choices-

1. Start with beginner equipment thats inexpensive to get your feet wet and see if Knifemaking is REALLY for you. This is very good advice for specific types of folks. Those folks would be- 1. Those not experienced with power tools and handwork previously. 2. Those who have a low tolerance for getting dirty, burnt, and/or cut. 3. Those who are just naturally flighty individuals who may be apt to just change their mind about their hobby in a year and decide to take up oragami or growing bonzai trees. 4. Those who have the inability or no desire to spend money on their hobby in the future.

2. Many folks interested in making knives are the opposite of the type mentioned above and these types seem natuarally drawn towards the craft. These types know from previous experience the value of quality tools and the commitment it takes to master their use. They will also generally learn quickly and find great satisfaction in the craft.

For these folks the advice is simple. Get best possible tools you can, learn to use them and never look back.

Back to the belt grinder. Your budget is a little light for a top tier machine but if your a type 2 person keep saving and go for a quality machine from the start. You'll never regret it and the often stated saying is true - Buy Once Cry Once.

There are a number of great machines out there today so choosing a belt grinder can be a duanting task not only for a newbie but for experienced makers alike.

-As a side note, Id recommend putting off spending money on schooling/travel etc and add those funds to your grinder fund and choose your machine based on it's features and quality as opposed to price. Doing this will get you started on the right foot. Hang around a bit and you'll find not only is it amazing what you can learn online but you'll most likely find someone who'll help you out in person as you learn. Attending school with a little experience under your belt will assist you in taking full advantage of the teaching.

I'd recommend avoiding the middle of the road machines. Too expensive for something you'll quickly wish to upgrade. Either go top tier or go for a truely inexpensive machine.

IMHO without doing a ton of research I think 2K will get you into a top tier machine and 3K would open you to all options.

Make the descision to spend the $$$ on the belt grinder and then start really looking at options and features.

-Josh

I think 2 K will get you into a good basic KMG as well as a disc grinder. One of the best places to save money when building your grinders is to search around and find your own motors. There are lots of them around so you should have no problem finding what you need.
About the disc, people who use them a lot love them and can not live without them; those who have not incorporated the disc into there technique find them less appealing.

I built this horizontal disc with a Rod Neilsen disc system and variable speed 1 1/2 hp for around 425. I find it amazingly useful in squaring and flattening handle materials. Nice for sharpening as well.

Once you have these two items in your shop as a foundation, you will be able to work and produce blades while adding those other machines all of us knife makers seem to cherish.

DSC01090.JPG

Last edited:
I started with hand files for my first few knives to see if I really had a calling for this kind of work?

As stated, It's Dirty, Burning, Cutting, Scaring work! To say the least!

Go to www.cootebeltgrinder.com I started with a 2 x 72 Coote grinder, a used 1800rpm 1.5 HP $100.00 motor, There are many more motor deals around these days!.
The old fan belt off my truck and a couple of Air conditioning step pulleys & a cheapo Harbor freight drill press and I was in for about a $1000.00

Norman Coote is a great man to work with and will help you with tips to get your grinder up and purring!

If you need any help email/PM me and I will help you.

I have purchased a more expensive machine, But I still use my Coote Grinder today. almost 15 years later.

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I know that the late Bill Moran used a bench grinder for some of his initial grinding before going to the belt grinder but he seems to be more the exception than the rule.

I didn't know that... I use one for the same thing, removing scale before taking it to the real grinder as scale will eat up belts quick. I started making knives with just a bench grinder and files, so I kinda got used to it early. A lot of folks use an angle grinder for the same purpose. I find the disc grinder very helpful for flattening stuff like Fred said... it never seems to get flat enough using just the platen.

Back