Basketweave stamp problems

One tip that I have found which prevents or reduces fingernail marks on your leather is to wear a rubber surgical glove on the hand holding the stamping tool. (In addition to keeping the nails short ! )

Joe

Tandy just opened a new store in SASKATOON Saskatchewan . I will say this ive been buying the sale priced leather then looked at the good leatherand their high end leather at 7 dollars a sq ft is very very good. I will be buying knothing but the best from now on.

P J I don't use the slicker on big peices like saddle seats, but use it on most all small projects and especialy on things that have to fit exactly. Stamping will swell the leather and slicking it will cut down on that. Special projects that require the best grade of stamping will get slicker treatment. Also some of the best leather in a side will not need slicker treatment because it's allready real firm ( the butt and a foot deep strip right up the backbone about to the halfway point)

Bigger stamping projects that can't swell at all because of fit get contact paper on the flesh side before stamping. Small items like sheaths you can use shipping tape on the flesh side. Use it just prior to staming and peel it off just after.

You want the leather to be a little wetter than when you stamp when you slick it and the moisture should be clear thru the leather for best results. Then lay it on your bench untill it dryes to perfect stamping case. ( it's called casing the leather when you get the moisture right for stamping)
You can play with scrap to find what perfect case is for krisp stamp impressions.
It will also brown when the moisture is good.

Different tannery's leather take some playing with to find the perfect case for stamping. Hope this helps. Robin

Thanks again for the great tips Robin! I'll do some experimenting with this new-to-me leather with moisture, and also see about buying or making one of those slickers. It seems like a good idea and your results that you get using one certainly look fantastic!

Glad I could help PJ, hope it works for you.
I made my first one out of Iron wood. It was about half the size of the ones in the picture. I used it on belts and a few sheaths. Most of the heavy dense woods will work. The woods with natural oils work the best as the leather is wet.
You probably noticed they are kinda wedge shaped, easyer to use that way.
Robin

I have reciently finished a sheath that I stamped with a double strand basket weave stamp and I had a few spots where I either forgot to turn the stamp 90 degrees going to the next spot or I turned it 180 degrees:unsure:. I reduced the interior line with a tooling spoon and stamped over it. It did not totally correct the problem but at least I have to look more closely to see it.

Doug Lester

Doug, I think I've made every mistake you can possible make on leather. You have to get pretty inventive trying to make a mistake look like you did it on purpose:D

Back