Bandsaw injury setback

JPSWorks

Unfortunately after finishing my 4th knife I was starting a new small knife today and while trying to cut out a profile of the blade my too short and crappy push sick slipped and my left pointer finger knuckle went into the porta band saw blade.

Went to the er and I partially severed the tendon on the top of my finger. Not what I was shooting for when working on knife number 5. Going to a hand surgeon in two days to get it delt with. Definitely no fun. But on the bright side, I didn't cut my finger off, and I got a bonus tetanus shot to boot!

uploadfromtaptalk1410398923697.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410398942127.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch! Hope it heals ok. You should post a pic of your saw setup next time your in the shop, might help somebody else think more about how to prevent something similar.

I was lucky... when I did the same thing, I hit the fat part of the finger, not the knuckle. Mine resolved with superglue, but wasn't any shallower than yours. It'll keep you back a few days, but don't let it get you down.

Sorry to hear of your injury. I feel your pain, my thumb still has no feeling in the tip.
Heal fast fellow Dog.

sorry to hear about your injury.
I am sure you will heal fast. A QUICK tip to heal fast, works all the time... drink fresh young thailand coconuts, with the soft meat inside, outside is cut so is all white. Just put two holes and drop a straw and drink. Can get at any oriental food store or latino food store.
Will speed up healing. The Doctors do not believe that anything you eat or drink can make a positive difference.
Get well fast,
Jon

Been there and done that while I type this recovering from Carpal & Cubital wrist & elbow surgeries from knife making! LOL

Be careful guys! And I'm glad to hear it wasn't worst and that you got a Tetanus shot.

Now Listen up all of you! Get a darn Tetanus shot! If you don't have any insurance sell a knife now and go get one.

This is one of the more pleasant pictures of what Tetanus will do to you.

TET.jpeg

OK? You guys got the picture? This does and can happen to you right here in the good ole USA!

Thanks everyone. I hope it will not put me out for too long. Definitely not fun, but trying to keep positive about it.

The funny thing is I keep trying to think how it would be possible to make a knife with one hand. Better to just rest, and pick up again on the next knife when I heal up. Or just stick to drawing up some different knife designs.

Been there and done that while I type this recovering from Carpal & Cubital wrist & elbow surgeries from knife making! LOL

Be careful guys! And I'm glad to hear it wasn't worst and that you got a Tetanus shot.

Now Listen up all of you! Get a darn Tetanus shot! If you don't have any insurance sell a knife now and go get one.

This is one of the more pleasant pictures of what Tetanus will do to you.

View attachment 50534

OK? You guys got the picture? This does and can happen to you right here in the good ole USA!
I hope your recovery is quick.

I hope your recovery is quick.

Same to you!
Rest and perhaps think up and draw some new patterns? Rest & elevation are important. Keep your hand higher than your heart as you rest and sleep. I have a few pillows that I have stacked on the couch & bed to keep my arm higher that my heart as I watch the tube or sleep.

We heal mostly when we are a sleep so I have been making myself go to bed early and get as much sleep as possible on top of the rest.

I have a Farmers marker to sharpen & display my knives at on Sunday. I will be ready.

I had some sheet metal get me on the same finger, on top about 25 years ago. it cut the tendon and the last joint of my trigger finger doesn't straighten out anymore.
There was a bright side though, I think it actually improved my shooting skills, both pistol and rifle.

The bad thing about those saws they don't distinguish between finger and steel. I caught the tip of mine one day when the push stick I was using broke on a previous saw mark. The blade was dull and I was pushing too hard. It cut it soooooo fast you don't have time to think about it. clean it, superglue it and back to work.

I was lucky didn't catch the tendon or deep enough to catch the bone! I have learned to keep a couple of push sticks on my table and if they get too cut up to be safe, throw them away, so you don't have too throw away a finger!:what!:

Good luck with your recovery!

Good news from thethe Dr today. He said there is at least 50% of the tendon still atached and he thinks it should heal on its own. So no surgery, just let it heal and see how it goes. I go back in two weeks.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I know how you ar feeling I cut my thumb off about a month ago with the band saw. It is still healing but I have no real feeling in my thumb. It is still healing but it sure puts a damper on working when you cant feel anything.

Back