Bandsaw Blade TPI

JeremyBartlett

Hey guys, so I recently got a cheap 4x6 horizontal bandsaw from harbor freight. First time using it I was cutting some 1.5 inch thick steel to make a squaring die for my press. Walked away for a bit and came back to the blade stuck and the motor fried. Not a big deal as I had an old grizzly 4x6 that was so wore out it wouldn't cut straight, so I pulled the motor off of it and put it on my new saw and finished the job. I want to order some new blades, mostly ill be cutting 1084 and 15n20 for damascus stacks and cutting damascus to restack and to make mosaics. I know I want a good bi-metal blade but I'm unsure of what tpi to get. The blade is 64.5". Also what brands do you suggest, I was looking at the Lennox diemaster 2.

For cutting 1/4" or less thick stock/material, I always use straight 18 tooth, or if it gets real thin, 24 tooth. I've never had any luck with the dual toothed blades such as 10-14, etc. Doesn't matter the tooth size combo, the larger teeth always seem to break off quickly, and once a single tooth gets broken, more follow quickly..... it's just a fast train wreck. I'd rather take a bit of extra time cutting, then have to buy/replace blades every other day (literally).

What you have to remember is that when saw blade makers recommend a specific tooth or combo toothed blade, it is in reference to cutting MILD STEEL....and the stuff we cut is a far bit tougher on tools/blades. Now, that being said, I do use large combo toothed blades on the 7x12 saw...... usually 4-6 or 5-8 tooth. But that saw NEVER cuts material less then 1/2", and if I try to make it cut stuff less then 1/2", it lets me know by quickly spitting teeth out at me. :)

Check out the folks at LA Cutting products. I buy my 7x12 blades there in M42 cobalt. Roughly $95 for three 7'9" blades, but I only go through about 6 in a normal year's time.

Last edited:
Check out the folks at LA Cutting products. I buy my 7x12 blades there in M42 cobalt. Roughly $95 for three 7'9" blades, but I only go through about 6 in a normal year's time.
That's the blades I purchase for my bandsaw. I've got a Rikon (111" blade) and a 4X6" (64-1/2") bandsaws and also use LA Cutting Products in the M42 Production blade. I placed an order last night for 1 each 111" and a 64-1/2" blade for a total of $51.90 shipped.

I sure do dislike the SLOW website they've got with all the "eye candy" each selection you make.

Any idea how the M42 blades last compared to the Lenox Diemaster 2?
I've used both, and for what/how I saw, I can't tell much difference. Unless you can catch a sale on the Demaster blades, the M42 blades from LA cutting products are generally less expensive.

Ken: I agree..... LA has way too many graphics/animations on their website. I rarely use the website, and unless I have a discount code to use, purchase through their Ebay store. :)

From what I've read the general rule is that you want the tpi to be enough to where at least 2 teeth are in whatever material you are cutting (mainly applicable to thin blades). Personally I use Morse bi-metal blades on my portaband

Back